Talk

Advanced search

Aldi formula

(7 Posts)
TwinkleMerrick Fri 08-Jun-18 18:13:07

I have had real issues with breast feeding. My baby girl is 3 weeks tomorrow. She had jaundice so was very sleepy and not eating. Then I couldn't get her to latch. She lost 15% of her body weight and had to go on a feeding plan. I've been expressing breast milk and giving her what I can via a bottle. I've been using Aldi formula as I'm on a tight budget and it's almost £4 cheaper than the big brands. As I've been giving her breast milk I haven't been too worried, and all the ingredients looks the same as Aptimal. I was wondering how other people have got on with Aldi formula? Also expressing is taking up so much time, has anyone got any tips on how to wean myself down off expressing? I feel terrible that I haven't been able to properly breast feed, but I'm so exhausted with all the hospital visits and getting used to being a new Mum I've taken the decision to go full formula feeds, also I've managed to freezer a bit of milk so at least she has a but to keep her going. No one told me how hard trying to breast feed is hmm

OP’s posts: |
pastabest Fri 08-Jun-18 19:06:03

The Aldi stuff if pretty much the same as aptamil I swapped between the two regularly without a problem. The only difference I noticed was that the Aldi stuff didn't seem to cake the bottles in weird residue in the same way aptamil did.

If you are wanting to carry on breastfeeding ask your health visitor if there are any local breastfeeding groups you could go to. Usually the women there are really good at helping with latches and spotting things like tongue tie which can cause latch problems.

Breastfeeding is hard at first, and then suddenly it isn't, usually a few weeks in.

Whatever you decide though the most important thing is that your baby is fed. How they are fed is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

TwinkleMerrick Fri 08-Jun-18 19:51:09

Thanks, there is a breast feed group near me. I will go next week, if I manage to get out the house on time. Good to hear about the Aldi formula x

KMoKMo Fri 08-Jun-18 19:55:13

I can’t help with the Aldi formula but just wanted to say how well you have done to 3 weeks with Baby having breast milk.

Expressing is tough so well done to you. I echo what the pp said about getting support.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 09-Jun-18 00:07:40

There are standards that the formula companies have to adhere to so it’s one area where price doesn’t necessarily reflect quality.

If she’s lost 15% of her body weight has a BFC observed a full feed and has she been checked for tongue tie. Not trying to persuade you to continue Bfing but it’s worth getting the tongue checked even if you are fully fling as tt can cause problems with feeding, Weaning, speech and facial development.

TwinkleMerrick Sat 09-Jun-18 13:28:35

She has been checked and all seemed fine but I will ask to be checked again. I think she is just lazy and doesn't like working for it. I managed to get her on the boob for 10mins this am and then top up with formula after.

OptimisticIntrovert Sat 09-Jun-18 21:46:36

I have been combination feeding my l.o since 9 days old (he's 6 months now) because he lost so much of his birthweight and we were put on a feeding plan.
I have found the Aldi formula to be the best of the lot so far.
I am sure you've heard it a lot OP but if you want to continue bf-ing there is support out there- I phoned the NCT and La Leche League breastfeeding helplines when I couldn't get out of the house and they really helped me keep going through the tough first few weeks- if you can get to 6 weeks I reckon you have got through one of the toughest things in the world- it does get easier!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in