Talk

Advanced search

Confused - Am I over feeding my son?

(9 Posts)
EmmaJR1 Wed 16-May-18 22:05:50

My ds has just turned 1 and he has been on the 98th centile since birth.

I'm looking for advice/reassurance in his eating. I feel I made a mistake going to purees and ready made baby food and my son is rather lazy so getting him to move to self feeding has been a challenge.

I am going to wean him off formula soon so I know that will change things.

He sleeps through nearly every night now and I really don't want that to change!

He refuses to pick up wet food so I can't give him fruit or vegetables unless I'm spoon feeding him.

Below is an example of a typical day - could you compare it to your experience and give me some hints or inspiration please?

630-7am - Wake up

730ish - 2 tbsp of ready break with small amount of milk and mashed banana

930-10 Nap (2hrs average) with 8oz of formula.

1230ish - 1/2 slice peanut butter on toast and yoghurt

3ish Nap (90 mins average) with 8oz formula

530 - dinner - fish finger/2tbsp mash/sweet corn or pasta with tomato sauce and a little cheese. Yoghurt for pudding or puréed fruit.

7pm - bed - 8oz formula

Any advice or reassurance will be welcomed- I just feel a little bit lost and there is so much conflicting advice out there.

TIA

OP’s posts: |
BrioLover Wed 16-May-18 22:14:33

That sounds fine to me. My DS1 ate that at the same age and he's always ticked along nicely at the 50th centile.

How much does he move? I found a lot of his peers lost a lot of the baby fat when they started walking, whereas DS1 walked at 11 months so we didn't see that change in him.

YouCantCallMeBetty Wed 16-May-18 22:14:47

It sounds fine I think (a while since had a 1 year old). I did wonder the following:
Is he having a bit too much milk? 3 x 8 ozs is maybe a bit much whether formula or cows milk. Does he drink water or juice?
Can he spoon feed himself to save you doing it? Could you put bits of chopped up fruit in a yoghurt or some custard to get him eating a bit more? Otherwise just persevere with offering finger foods, perhaps if he's a bit hungrier he'll be keener to try things. Good luck smile

gingerbreadbiscuits Wed 16-May-18 22:17:43

That is only 2 portions of fruit and 1 portion veg a day. I would be looking to increase this.

Will he spoon feed himself yet?

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Wed 16-May-18 22:29:13

Is he 98th centile for weight and height? If so he sounds in proportion.

Someone's going to be on 3rd centile and someone in 98th. That's still all in the range of normal development.

hampsteadholly Wed 16-May-18 22:34:01

If he's stayed on the same centile since birth then there's no reason to think you're overfeeding him.

EmmaJR1 Wed 16-May-18 22:39:33

Hi - thanks all!

Yes he's 98th for both height and weight - he's a big boy.

I think he is just on the cusp of walking but he is literally never still unless sleeping!!

I do add puréed veg to his dinners and sometimes chopped fruit to yoghurt with varying degrees of success. He will try to spoon feed himself with very little success. He just won't snack on fruit and veg or pick up chopped pieces although I always offer them. Although he did pick up and chomp on a whole apple the other day and had 2-3 bites so maybe I give him whole fruit and share it?

I think I'll just have to keep trying and maybe when I wean him off formula he'll be hungrier so will try more?

He drinks water, threw the first cows milk I tried him with on the floor... he occasionally has sugar free heavily diluted squash at nannies for a treat.

RemainOptimistic Wed 16-May-18 23:01:56

No need to puree the veg now. Try boiling til soft. Mash it a bit with a fork at first if he doesn't accept it.

My 15 month old loves peas. Picking them up one by one. No clue what the fascination is!

Do you eat together with DC? Share your plate with him. He might show more interest that way.

EmmaJR1 Wed 16-May-18 23:13:56

He does play with peas. Maybe I'll chop everything veg like to pea sized and just let him play. I eat lunch with him. He sometimes takes my banana (whole - with skin) and tries to bite it and actually took a whole flipping cheeseburger off my plate and bit it the other day... maybe I'm babying him too much then and I need to let him explore more. That plus reducing the milk might make him hungry and curious enough to try things!

Thanks for the hints and tips. And for the reassurance- sometimes I just doubt myself!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in