Talk

Advanced search

Night weaning breastfed toddler - anyone else?

(5 Posts)
moreismore Fri 06-Apr-18 16:39:26

Although I co-slept for quite a while I didn’t wean until DS was in his own bed, albeit a ‘proper’ one rather than a cot so I could lie alongside him as needed. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work, just poss a bit more effort initially as you said!

Millipede170 Fri 06-Apr-18 16:06:45

Thanks moreismore, I hear lots about Dr Jay Gordon and his method, he seems to be all about co-sleeping/the family bed. Do you know if it works if you don’t co-sleep? I can’t really see why not (just harder on the parent I guess, more time out of bed!)

OP’s posts: |
moreismore Fri 06-Apr-18 13:32:04

Ps he still won’t settle at bedtime for me as quickly as for other people but he no longer asks for milk...he just jumps on the bed and makes fart noises!

moreismore Fri 06-Apr-18 13:31:06

I tried this drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html after seeing it suggested on here and it worked really well. My DS was same age and overall was much less traumatic than I was expecting!

Millipede170 Fri 06-Apr-18 13:28:00

I am thinking about starting to wean my 23mo off the breast. He takes a morning and an evening feed, likes me to feed him to sleep for naps during the day when he's at home (and at bedtime, if he can get away with it!) and still wakes in the night, generally once, asking for milk - but it's really just for comfort I think. I thought I would start with the night wake, limit daytime feeds to just morning and evening initially.

He is actually completely capable of self settling, he does it every day at the childminder's and often at bedtime if DH is putting him to bed. He just loves the comfort of it and does not like being told he can't have it! I experimented the other night and it took 2 (very cross) hours to get him back to sleep during the night without boob. With boob, it's a 5 minute job and back to sleep for everybody.

Does anyone else have an experience to share, or is anyone currently in the process of night weaning their toddler? TIA

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in