Talk

Advanced search

Poor latch. Feel like giving up.

(5 Posts)
blinkineckmum Thu 05-Apr-18 16:49:19

3 week old. Feeds beautifully one side. Gaining lots of weight. My 3rd and I had no problems with dc1+2.
But one side is so painful! I dread her feeds as it's so hard to get her on, and when she's on she damages me. I can't imagine feeding in public as I fuss and swear.
Will it get better? Should I give up? Anyone else persevere and live through it? I'm so down about it.

OP’s posts: |
FancyNewBeesly Thu 05-Apr-18 16:51:24

I had to stop feeding my twins and pump instead so I feel your pain.

Have you tried different positions / holds? My twins both had to be lying on their left side to feed well. Even then I had major latch issues and they were basically losing it all out of the other side of their mouth. Have you seen the flipple technique? Videos on YouTube smile

blinkineckmum Thu 05-Apr-18 18:06:34

Thank you for the tip.

thenallofasudden Thu 05-Apr-18 18:14:42

I had so much trouble with my 3rd and none with my first 2. I persisted but only after an emotional break down and tbh if things hadn't improved for me I would have stopped.
I got my nipples to heal first and expressed my milk off then started again. Think my nipples were too big (sorry for tmi!) but as his little mouth got bigger his latch improved.
Sending you thanks it is a trying time when the feeding goes wobbly!

blinkineckmum Thu 05-Apr-18 21:17:45

Thank you. I tried the new koala/ flipple thing, and she got on ok, but still a bit sore. I might have to express on that side. What a pain, but worth a try.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in