Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Snacking baby 9wks

(18 Posts)
BrummieOnTheRun Tue 08-May-07 14:01:38

Hi, can anyone offer any advice pls? 9 week old DD2 taking short feeds (120ml average) every 2.5hrs (or so).

Have just moved off breast to see if it would improve things and it hasn't.

Is not falling asleep during feeds, just pulls off and refuses to take more.

Have tried spacing feeds out but she's a feisty little one and registers her objection forcefully!

Weight gain is fine, but frequent feeds are driving me up the wall!

Any thoughts appreciated. Tks!

bubblepop Tue 08-May-07 14:05:18

hiya, im afraid your baby sounds completely 'normal' to me

NineUnlikelyTales Tue 08-May-07 14:12:19

Ditto what bubblepop said I'm afraid. She has a tiny stomach so she can't hold any more, but it will grow and she will take more in one sitting eventually. Hang on in there

BrummieOnTheRun Tue 08-May-07 14:13:49

bugger! is it too late to swap for one of those 4 hourly feeders that just eats and sleeps?

seriously, though. the other 2 kids had dropped a feed during the night by now. I'm still doing 2: 11pm, 2/3pm and 5pm. Is that normal?

tiktok Tue 08-May-07 14:17:16

Brummie - 2.5 hrly feeding is well on the normal spectrum, for grown up human beings, too

How many times does the average adult have something to eat and drink during the day? Prob more often than 2.5 hrly.

It's a shame to stop bf because of this, esp as you have found it's made no difference. It's not too late to go back to bf, if that's what you want to do.

tiktok Tue 08-May-07 14:17:54

Those night feeds - presume you mean 'am' and not 'pm' - are normal, too.

ThomCat Tue 08-May-07 14:21:03

tiktok - lol at it being normal for grown ups too! That's so true, never thought of it before. Breakfast, elvensies, lunch, late afternoon tea and biscuit, dinner, you're so right.

BrummieOnTheRun Tue 08-May-07 14:29:39

true true true.

I think I'm feeling like it's a problem because the last 2 days and nights have been nearer every 2hrs rather than 2.5 and that makes a massive difference...am totally exhasted and have 2 other midgets to take care of so no catching up during the day.

growth spurt maybe?

twofalls Tue 08-May-07 20:30:30

It could be a growth spurt or it could just be the way she feeds. My dd was like that but more like every 2 hours, when all my friends babies were on 4 hourly feeds and sleeping through the night. She was ff from 6 weeks so it didn't make any difference. Probably hasn't helped you at all but just thought I would let you know that it is completely normal, if not knackering!

BrummieOnTheRun Thu 10-May-07 10:59:04

thanks twofalls, and everyone else who replied. much appreciated. took a closer look at her feeds, and it's much less than 120ml, nearer 90ml, but reassured that that's just the way it is, that it could be a phase, and am resigned (worst case) to being knackered for a few more weeks.

am going to try and get the breastfeeding back if I can (hoping frequent expressing will work), because doing 6-8 bottles a day is going to be crazy.

tks again!

WinkyWinkola Thu 10-May-07 11:02:00

Eeeek! I thought your thread was titled "Smacking baby 9 wks". Cripes.

BrummieOnTheRun Thu 10-May-07 11:15:44

No, I wait until at least 12 wks for that. (JOKING!!)

loribella Sun 12-Jul-09 06:27:56

My three month old still 'snacks' every 2 or 2.5 hours - then has one solid 4 hour sleep from 8-midnight, then snacks again - hopefully he'll sort himself out - I feel for you - it's exhausting - have tried a zillion things (including tolerating his tears for a while) but this seems to be the feeding pattern that works for him (apparently his dad was like that too) - I know another tot who feeds pretty much straight from 5pm to 10pm, then sleeps the night - what would you prefer - five hours straight of nursing, or quick convenient feeds every two hours?

ejbab Sun 12-Jul-09 10:41:05

I feel your pain, BrummieOnTheRun, my LO does this too - she's 9 weeks and eats every 2 hours and frequently every hour. And I've been wondering if bottles would make a difference so it's interesting to hear that it doesn't.
I have been getting really worried that it was down to forceful letdown, reflux or who knows what. Actually if I'm honest, what I'm really worried about it she'll be doing this for the next six months or so and I'll go completely doolally. She's already nearly 15 pounds so it's obviously working for her, but it really gets be down as it is often really hard to get anything done. DD1 on the other hand was 'textbook' - whatever that means - she ate for up to 40 mins every 3 hours on the dot and slept in between no probs. She even slept through the night at 11 weeks. Unfortunately, for the first 2 1/2 months of her life she also fed constantly from 5pm til 1am. Ouch!

elkiedee Sun 12-Jul-09 15:01:55

I think at 9 weeks my ds2 was still feeding practically all the time during the day, and at about 23 weeks he still feeds at very small intervals, sometimes for a long time but often now it really does seem like a snack. He does sleep for quite a while at night though he wakes up between 5 and 6 and feeds for ages, and this morning it was from about 5 until after 7 with only short rests.

hercules1 Sun 12-Jul-09 15:07:35

I think brummieontherun's child has outgrown this now.....

Horton Sun 12-Jul-09 16:12:34

I think my DD fed about once an hour during the day and often three times at night for at least the first eleven months or so. Count yourself lucky!

elkiedee Sun 12-Jul-09 16:40:20

hercules1, well spotted, the original thread is about the age of my ds1 (just over 2 years). Hope you're right about brummie's baby!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now