Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Introducing some formula at 6 months

(3 Posts)
MsBranwen Mon 19-Mar-18 17:01:35

I’m interested in hearing people’s experiences of breastfeeding once starting weaning onto solids . I’ve had an awful time breastfeeding but am aiming to do ebf until 6 months because it’s something I really wanted to do and it is working despite being tough (little one currently 20 weeks), after which I’m considering introducing some formula for maybe one feed a day in order that I don’t have to keep expressing (currently I express every morning so my husband can do 1 night feed as my son is a pretty dreadful sleeper!). I will definite be keeping bf for most of the feeds but figure that since I’m introducing other foodstuffs anyway a little bit of formula would be ok? But I’m really not sure!

Can anyone else share their experience on this

Bobbiepin Mon 19-Mar-18 17:11:15

My DD is the same age and has been combination fed since 3 weeks (started at one bottle before bed and introduced a lunch time bottle 4 weeks ago). Now my boobs have adjusted I'm considering adding in another bottle. Tbh it makes her feeds a little more predictable, she will happily go 4 hours between feeds after a bottle (which helps at night) whereas after bf it could be 2/3hours, who knows.

I would think if your DC already takes a bottle you're over what could be the biggest problem and you might find that formula helps encourage more sleep.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 20-Mar-18 14:56:25

Could your DH use formula for the night feed so that you don’t have to express? Like the PP says, you’re already over the biggest hurdle if LO is taking a bottle smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: