Talk

Advanced search

Newborn nappies - 5 day old

(14 Posts)
HalfStar Tue 13-Mar-18 12:44:42

Hi, my dc3 was born in the early hours of thursday morning. Milk has been slow ish to come in but is well in now and she's feeding lots with plenty of fully wet nappies.

She had quite a lot of meconium nappies first two days then it tapered off. She only had 2 dirty nappies yesterday and they were both huge mustard seedy ones. Has yet to poo today. Should we be seeing more poos by now?

ShackUp Tue 13-Mar-18 12:46:06

DS1 didn't poo for a week after the meconium - totally normal in breastfed babies thanks

MumOfTheMoos Tue 13-Mar-18 12:47:54

If memory serves me right you need to be watching for regular wee nappies but poo nappies can be intermittent - especially at the start.

Well done for getting the feeding started!

And congratulations smile

Madbee Tue 13-Mar-18 13:18:54

The above isn’t correct I’m afraid... before 4-6 weeks old it isn’t normal for them not to poo every day.

OP, it sounds like you are getting the right type of poo - yellowy and seedy (chicken korma is how my midwife described it!) is perfect, but ideally you would be looking at 3-4 per day at this stage. I don’t think I’d be panicking as you say there are plenty of wet nappies, but I would give your midwife a call to put your mind at rest.

HalfStar Tue 13-Mar-18 14:49:06

Yes that was my thinking too madbee. HV has been, baby's dropped a bit of weight (as did my other dc hmm) but she's happy with the look of her and the way she's feeding so we're just keeping an eye for now. Thanks all flowers

Madbee Tue 13-Mar-18 17:15:34

Glad to hear all seems to be well smile I’m yet to hear of any baby that didn’t drop a little in the first week. Hope all is well going forward, and congratulations on your new arrival smile

tiktok Wed 14-Mar-18 09:20:46

Great all seems well smile

No poo in the first weeks is a sign the baby needs to be weighed and feeding assessed.

The MYTH that poos are intermittent or absent for days in a BF baby and it's normal is a dangerous one....I wish it would die. Hcps perpetuate it sometimes.

Frequent large soft yellow poos from day four onwards are normal and a good sign feeding is going well.

Callamia Wed 14-Mar-18 09:29:39

This happened to us last summer. I called the postnatal ward on day 4 with the same issue, and was told that if nappies were plenty wet, and the meconium had definitely been cleared then, 24hrs was ok, and that is likely see a giant poo before the day was out. They were right... it had been about 36hrs, but all was well.

HalfStar Wed 14-Mar-18 13:16:50

Thanks all. My other dc were pooing more freqently by now though all have dropped a fair bit of weight while waiting for milk to come in.

So we have loads of wees - i've stopped keeping track. 3 poos in 24h yesterday though one was pretty small. last one was at 3am. She's fed a lot this morn and has been unsettled with wind which i'm struggling to get up. I wouldnt be surprised if she had a PTT like my dc1, so will get this checked.

otherwise she's a good feeder, no jaundice etc.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Wed 14-Mar-18 20:36:37

Has she pooed yet @HalfStar?

Congratulations too thanks

HalfStar Thu 15-Mar-18 18:08:15

Right, still no pooconfused. She's fed a lot, also had 2 ounces of formula, done loads of wees, I've given her a warm bath and massaged her tummy. Is there anything else i can do to bring on a poo?! She's been pretty settled today overall and had good awake/sleep periods, but I'm worrying a bit now.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Thu 15-Mar-18 18:15:45

If it were me, I’d count the 3am one yesterday as yesterday’s poo, iygwim. If yiu want to encourage a poo, you could try some mo nappy time or putting her in a sling. Does she normally have formula? I’m wondering if that could be bunging her up?

HalfStar Thu 15-Mar-18 22:13:11

She pooed! Finally grin not sure what did it in the end. Thanks for all the suggestions.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Fri 16-Mar-18 08:17:13

Hooray! You never guess before you have babies what joy a poo can bring grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: