Talk

Advanced search

Too much milk??

(8 Posts)
Imnotapootroll Tue 27-Feb-18 22:09:46

My baby is 5 weeks old now and I’m over the moon I managed to breastfeed as I didn’t manage it with my first!

I think I have a oversupply issue as he really chokes at my boobs when they letdown, no matter how I hold him to feed. If he pulls off me then milk squirts everywhere, all over his face and whatever is nearby and I have to grab a Muslin to hold over to stop the leaking!

I’m also getting very leaky breasts all day. He feeds around every 2/3 hours, 1 breast usually as is full before I can put him on the other one!

I’m going through around 3 breastpads a day (per boob) from leaking and my tops are still soaked. This happens whether he’s awake/asleep, due a feed or just had one!

He’s obviously getting lots as has jumped from 50th centile to 75th in a week so I’m not worried about his intake but just the mess that I’m making of it all!

The choking is terrifying and I’m scared to feed him anywhere because the milk squirting issues when he pulls off quickly (usually due to choking) and being out with a wet top is no fun!

Anyone know if this is normal and if there’s any way to help?

I soaked him and myself and my mums sofa at a family party this weekend in the space of about 30 seconds!

OP’s posts: |
AutumnalTed Tue 27-Feb-18 22:12:58

It’ll settle down very soon! But yes very normal and definitely happened to me at the beginning. My son is 4.5months now and unless he’s distracted during the first 5 seconds of feeding milk doesn’t squirt anywhere.
Funnily enough I’d forgottwn about this until now grin

ProfessorSprout Tue 27-Feb-18 22:27:14

This website is fantastic for overcoming bf issues

In particular over supply and forceful let down kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

I had similar issues and following this advice saved me stopping when I wanted to.

Hope it helps

Imnotapootroll Wed 28-Feb-18 10:50:18

Thanks so much to you both! I’ve had a look. I really don’t want to give up but it’s getting me so stressed out!

ProfessorSprout Wed 28-Feb-18 19:00:55

What is it in particular that’s making you stressed?

There are so many ways to reduce your supply and so it will / can get better.

Hugs

Imnotapootroll Thu 01-Mar-18 16:54:26

Thank you, I hope it works! It sounds childish and ridiculous but feeding in public is what’s stressing me out the most, I don’t go out with him because every time I have he messes about at the boob and it squirts everywhere and we both end up soaked and I always have leaky boobs!

ProfessorSprout Fri 02-Mar-18 08:06:19

I had this - I remember spraying across Starbucks a good metre away 😳

Block feeding might be something to consider. You should take some professional advice though (a BF helpline will guide you). It will slow reduce your supply without affecting what baby needs.

For me, feeding in public shouldn’t be stressful and that will make you tense. Black / dark tops to hide any leaks, lots of muslins and I used washable breastpads too (doubled up).

It’s easy to say, but try not to stress. People said to me by 6 weeks your supply will even out, but it was more like 8/9 weeks. We got there in the end, doing the things on Kellymom and I also stopped pumping seperatly to feeding (i was trying to give DH milk to feed dd so I could have a break but it was counterproductive and increased my supply!). Your body is trying to produce what it thInks baby needs, it’s not worked it out yet but it will do cakebrewflowers

Gannetseatfish Fri 02-Mar-18 09:25:44

I had this with DS and have much sympathy. I would second the don’t pump advice (ever) I found it really boosted my supply and speaking to an expert re block feeding. That really helped us and we went on to feed for 18 months. For different reasons I am feeding DD from one boob only and having no trouble this time. Our bodies are too efficient!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in