Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Tommee tippee teats

(8 Posts)
usernameunavailable Tue 13-Feb-18 19:04:15

My baby is 4 months old, she uses size 1 teats but she has been falling asleep mid feed I think this is because she isn't getting the milk fast enough. So I swapped her over to size 2 teats but now the milk dribbles out of the corner of her mouth. What can I do about this? Is vari flow teats any good?

usernameunavailable Wed 14-Feb-18 01:46:10

Bump

BelleWell80 Thu 15-Feb-18 04:51:34

The variflow are supposed to allow the baby to control the flow, the TT teats have a cross cut in them so if baby sucks gently it is more like a hole and if they suck harder they get more as the hole opens up. I found they weren’t ideal with normal milk but were a must with thickened milk. Also check the teats regularly too, as the holes can tear from over use.

Neonlights91 Thu 15-Feb-18 04:57:04

I thought variflow teats were mainly for breastfed babies as it replicates suckling from breast (ie they control the rate).

By 4 months most babies will be off teat 1, so as long as it’s not a lot of dribbling (ie soaking the bib) I would persevere with size 2s smile

usernameunavailable Thu 15-Feb-18 14:50:48

I milk does dribbles our quite a bit hmm

LadyRenoir Thu 15-Feb-18 17:24:20

We used level 2 teat on our premature baby as he was too weak to suck 1, and it got milk in and as he got stronger we went back to level teats, as 2 are too fast now and he gulps milk too quickly.

Maybe get one and see how it goes. Sometimes the faster flow makes them gulp it down too quickly and it then goes up, so may not be best, but may be a temporary solution?

usernameunavailable Thu 15-Feb-18 18:16:17

Lady thanks for your reply I've had her on size 1 teats since she was born except for when she was around 2 month when I tried her on size 2 as my HV advised. But I put her back on size 1 as it was too fast. Now she's 4 month I thought she'd manage size 2 hmm

FartnissEverbeans Sat 17-Feb-18 19:40:48

It's trial and error really. I found that it took DS a few feeds to adjust to the bigger teat size.

I had forgotten about this aspect of feeding until I read this thread! It's a bit of a pain!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: