Talk

Advanced search

3 week old suddenly cries after 2 seconds of breastfeeding

(8 Posts)
WaitroseCarpark Mon 12-Feb-18 20:53:29

Hi everyone, wonder if you could help us?

We've just over the last 3 days had our DD on a mix of breast milk and formula. Normally as soon as she starts feeding she quietens down and is happy as can be.

But suddenly, just now, she seems to be inconsolable. She sucks at the breast quite urgently for 2 seconds at a time, and then cries. She seems to be hungry but can't seem to bear to eat? She takes a dummy and doesn't cry so could it be the swallowing? Or something to do with her throat?

ChristmasAccountant Mon 12-Feb-18 20:55:07

Could it be frustration? A bottle gives instant milk whereas she has to work a little harder at the breast.

WaitroseCarpark Mon 12-Feb-18 20:56:27

Bottle or breast, she cries after 2 seconds. Suddenly started this last feed sad

noseypud Mon 12-Feb-18 20:59:33

Has she been checked for a tongue tie?

Checklist Mon 12-Feb-18 21:00:55

Let down - the force, with which the milks hits her throat?

Atticusss Mon 12-Feb-18 21:01:54

Nipple confusion. It's harder to work a breast than a bottle and they are frustrated it isn't coming out instantly. You'll have to stop the bottle feeding if you want to continue breast unfortunately.

WaitroseCarpark Mon 12-Feb-18 21:03:35

Not checked for tongue tie but it started so suddenly. Every feed she's been fine but suddenly this one she's crying like crazy

notsureifimbeingur Mon 12-Feb-18 21:14:09

My little girl went through something similar. I was told it could be a nursing/feeding strike- for whatever reason. For example I might have sneezed once whilst she was feeding and gave her a fright, and then she associated that ‘fright’ with feeding and cried every time since. It took a few days to get her out of it, but just constant attempts, distraction worked, almost get her to feed without realising she is feeding. I find it helps if you can try a different position/bottle teat/different person to feed her, to trick them into thinking it’s a different thing you are doing, and not actually feeding! And before they realise what’s happening they are quite happily feeding away, and you’ve broken the cycle of crying.

Don’t know if this will help or I’m maybe waffling, but remember ‘it’s a phase’ and will pass. Best wishes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: