Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Breastfeeding

(6 Posts)
Charl79 Sat 10-Feb-18 08:34:39

Morning ladies, looking for some help and advice, I have an 8 week old gorgeous girl exclusively breastfed, I have started to express so Dad can do a feed at night so I can try and get some extra sleep. As on average I feed her 14 times a day and the most she goes between feeds is 3 hours. From taking a bottle I’ve noticed she is only having between 1-2oz a feed. She was born at 37+1 and weighed 6.6lbs, there are no concerns over her weight and is now 8.14lbs. Is there anything I can do to increase what she eats so she sleeps for longer during the night??
Thanks in advance x

NerrSnerr Sat 10-Feb-18 08:38:41

Unfortunately not, babies have tiny stomachs so need food little and often. I would say 3 hours is pretty good for a small baby- the periods between feeds will slowly increase in time.

BillywilliamV Sat 10-Feb-18 08:40:49

Shes still quite little so I dont think shes being too unreasonable yet. It seems like forever now but things will get easier in the next month or so. Sorry I cant be more help

Marcine Sat 10-Feb-18 08:43:35

My almost 5 month old still only takes 4-5oz from a bottle and breastfeeds 8 times a day/night. She does go 4 hours at night though.

Luckycatsplat Sat 10-Feb-18 08:45:32

Sounds like you are doing great and she's doing exactly what she needs to do.
I'm in awe of anyone manages to express and who manages to get their baby to drink from a bottle!
Their tummies are tiny. The reason formula fed babies can sometimes seem to go longer between feeds is because formula isn't as easily digested as breastmilk so it sits in their tummy.
As she grows the time in between feeds will increase. It seems tough now but it does get better. Keep doing what you're doing and it willget easier. X

Spam88 Sat 10-Feb-18 08:50:07

My 8.5 month old doesn't even go 3 hours between feeds 🙈

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: