Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

12 week old fussy at breast

(8 Posts)
Lemonicelolly1 Fri 09-Feb-18 18:36:45

Hi,

Hoping someone can offer some advice or reassurance please!

DD is 12 weeks old and ebf. For the last 2 days she has been extremely fussy when breastfeeding. She'll feed for a few mins then pull away. This will continue for a while until she starts to cry and refuses to feed. It's also really hurting my nipples, we've never had any breastfeeding issues before.

I think she might be teething as her hands are constantly in her mouth and she's dribbling an awful lot, will this be the reason for the feeding issues?

I do think she is getting enough as she's had a few dirty nappies today & is generally happy enough. She slept well last night but hasn't slept at all today (not overly unusual as she's never been a bit napper but usually will have a few short naps)

Should I ring the health visitor to be sure, or is it most likely the teething causing the issues? She's never really liked a bottle but not sure whether to try one...

Sorry paranoid first time mum here smile

Wetwashing00 Fri 09-Feb-18 18:52:58

Ah yeah... teething. Causes all sorts of upsets with babies.
I remember my DS doing this at around 14 weeks. We would spend most evenings... with him starting a feed then pushing me a away, crying, screaming but wouldn’t latch back on for a while. I spent between 5pm-10pm trying to feed/settle him.
Have a google at 4month sleep regression too. It’s usually a phase thank god but definitely a tough one.

Lemonicelolly1 Fri 09-Feb-18 20:46:58

Thanks @Wetwashing00.
She's usually such a good feeder and I'm just paranoid she isn't feeding enough, but I suppose by this stage they are meant to more efficient at feeding anyway aren't they? I'll have a look at 4 month sleep regression too smile

EveMoneypenny Fri 09-Feb-18 21:13:01

My DS is 16 weeks and has been doing this on and off since about 12 weeks. I haven't fully figured it out but I think sometimes it's caused by me trying to feed him a little too soon before he's quite ready. He's been gradually trying to extend the interval between feeds (was 2 hours max at about 12 weeks; now he seems to prefer going about 2.5-3 hours). Sometimes I look at the clock and think he must be due a feed whereas if I wait til he's giving me signals the feed seems to go better. Also a good winding session when he's fussing often produces a burp and then he comes back for a bit more. Sometimes he's adamant he's finished with one boob when there's clearly milk left but will take some from the other boob if I offer. Not ideal breastfeeding practice but doesn't seem to have done us any harm! I was worried this would affect his weight gain but he'd actually moved up the chart a little when weighed at 14 weeks.

Lemonicelolly1 Fri 09-Feb-18 22:00:25

Thanks @EveMoneypenny. I'll keep a closer eye on feeding times tomorrow and see if I maybe am trying to feed her too soon.

I had a better look/feel of her gums tonight too and think she is definatley teething too!

We don't really have regular visits from our health visitor anymore & they don't do drop in clinics in our area anymore for me to regularly have her weighed, which probably would help reassure me a bit!

Hopefully it's just a phase that will pass quickly! smile

woundedbutwalking Fri 09-Feb-18 22:09:18

Could be a sign your period is about to start? My DD got like this, even though she was EBF, when my period came back at 9 weeks & prior to subsequent ones too. Very short term hopefully.

EveMoneypenny Sat 10-Feb-18 09:40:22

They don't do drop in clinics here any more either, but luckily they're happy to weigh babies when having their vaccinations. I also weigh myself holding DS on our bathroom scales then weigh myself and subtract. I know it's not accurate but it gives me peace of mind as I can see he's gaining every week.

Lemonicelolly1 Sat 10-Feb-18 10:55:02

Thanks everyone.
@woundedbutwalking I don't think it's my period but I didn't know that could make a difference!

@EveMoneypenny I have weighed her a couple of times at home like that too, but may start doing it every week for some peace of mind.
I did read on mumsnet someone who weighs their child on the scales at pets at home, may need to try that 😂😂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: