Talk

Advanced search

5 week old FTT - will he be admitted?

(7 Posts)
HariboFrenzy Tue 06-Feb-18 18:30:41

5 weeks old today and gone from 9th centile to below 0.4. No weight gain in 7 days. HV has advised to see GP in the morning and expect to be referred to PAU. What will happen now? Are they likely to admit him? Exclusively breastfed atm but fully anticipate that we will have to be topped up. Family history of allergies and silent reflux

HariboFrenzy Tue 06-Feb-18 19:15:55

Anyone?

1stTimeRounder Tue 06-Feb-18 19:46:56

Obviously with no gain in 7 days something will need to change and yes it sounds like supplementation will be needed. Have you.identified any issues with feeding?

I've no idea on the specific criteria for admission, except things like low.blood sugar or hi bilirubin (jaundice)

Good luck

musicalmama Tue 06-Feb-18 19:59:01

I had to go back in to hospital as low weight gain but they helped me with feeding a bit and suggested top ups. My milk didn't come in for 5 days after EMCS. My LO was just so sleepy I had to use cold cotton wool to keep rousing him while he fed to stop him falling asleep after a few minutes feeding. Stripped him to nappy and kept stroking his back with the cold cotton wool to keep him alert. Not sure if you are having same problem. As long as nappies are wet and no pink crystals or dehydration signs I'd keep trying the breast and give a few top ups a day to see how you get on. Ask for support with bf if you are keen to keep going.

HariboFrenzy Tue 06-Feb-18 20:31:32

Thanks for replying. No obvious issues. Tongue tie snipped 3 weeks ago but the following week had normal weight gain. Last 2 weeks minimal then none. Pretty sure he's suffering with silent reflux but isn't sick that much so it's not that. 🙁

elliejjtiny Tue 06-Feb-18 20:35:25

It depends. 2 of my little ones were ftt as babies and they were admitted a few times each.

Bostonbullsmumma Wed 07-Feb-18 21:43:35

How did it go today?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now