Talk

Advanced search

Breast to bottle

(15 Posts)
Gracemac Tue 06-Feb-18 11:37:51

My daughter is 11 weeks old and I’m really struggling to get her to take a bottle so that my mum etc can feed her as well as just straight from me. I have tried madela bottles which she would take then moved onto latch bottles and she took it once from my mum and once from my dad just small amounts but now she won’t latch on to the bottle at all she just moves it around with her tongue. I have ordered a minibie bottle to see if she’ll take that. Does anyone have any advice or any bottles they’re recommend. Feel like I’m expressing milk for it to just be wasted desperate for her to be able to take a bottle.

fannythrobbing Tue 06-Feb-18 11:39:38

Mine was an avid bottle refuser (I had to breastfeed for 10 months as had no other way of getting milk into her) however we found NUK with the latex teats the only bottle she would take. Apparently it's a bit softer and easier for breastfed babies - highly recommend giving them a go

Gracemac Tue 06-Feb-18 11:45:54

That’s commitment! I was those on amazon think I’ll give them a try thank you!

1stTimeRounder Tue 06-Feb-18 21:09:07

Never had a bottle refuser; we had a breast refuser with tongue tie. Mam anti colic bottles worked really well for us. The teet is flat like a nipple would be when feeding... worth a try ?

Gracemac Tue 06-Feb-18 23:37:56

Thank you! Just had a look at the teet and it looks a much better size than ones I have at the moment.

katmarie Tue 06-Feb-18 23:48:50

My 12 day old goes from bottle to breast quite well, we use Nuby bottles, and he gets on really well with them, so may be worth a try.

Srumtish Tue 06-Feb-18 23:51:50

Don't assume the expensive ones are best, I had a dummy refuser who finally found true love with a poundland cheap bulb shaped nipple.

Gracemac Wed 07-Feb-18 00:33:44

That’s good to know might have a look in Poundland and see if they still do them worth a try! My daughter refuses a dummy as well.

Madbee Wed 07-Feb-18 07:21:00

I wouldn't bother trying hundreds of different ones. My bottle refuser will now take a small amount solely due to persistence - she will take any or none of the teats according to her mood, but sticking with one and offering her it calmly and cheerfully every day at least once has helped us. That said, the NUK one is the one we've persisted with, since it initially caused the smallest meltdown!

Srumtish Wed 07-Feb-18 07:22:49

If you've got a breast obsessed baby it's a God send to have something else to soothe them like a dummy.

Gracemac Wed 07-Feb-18 15:40:02

I know I wish she would take a dummy more it takes about 10minutes for her to suck on it but once she does it really helps!

InThisTogether Wed 07-Feb-18 19:07:57

Another vote here for MAM bottles... anti colic too as an extra bonus!

wilts09 Wed 07-Feb-18 21:15:11

Mam here too. And lay baby down on sofa or comfy floor with blanket etc. DD associated being in arms with breastfeeding so wouldn't take bottle, this really helped us smile

Bostonbullsmumma Wed 07-Feb-18 21:20:37

The Mimbie bottle so far has been a waste of money for me but I’m guessing I’m not being persistent enough! Also have a dummy refuser! My older child used Mam bottles which are great if baby will take them- mine won’t- as you can self sterilise them.

Gracemac Wed 07-Feb-18 23:27:45

Never thought about doing that will try that tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: