Talk

Advanced search

Cows milk making LO constipated?

(5 Posts)
EmaSimps Sun 04-Feb-18 20:09:17

My 17 month old has a very good diet she eats plenty of fruit/veg and drinks lots of water, but she is constipated she does go most days (sometimes 3 times) but she is in pain when she goes and they are hard dry little balls sad I’m starting to think it’s cows milk that’s making her constipated she only has 2 bottles a day am and pm, so I was wondering of trying her on almond milk instead? I have it myself as really don’t like cows milk. What do people think?

Thanks in advance smile

OP’s posts: |
Babybeesmama Sun 04-Feb-18 20:23:54

My little boy was like this... we actually switched back to formula but it made no difference..

I would increase foods like prunes pears etc & give LO some lactulose for a few days to soften the poo. It might just be the change that has caused it. X

EmaSimps Sun 04-Feb-18 20:50:54

Thanks for your reply.
Yeah I do give her prunes or pears daily to help but doesn't seem to make a difference. Iv just heard cows milk can make them constipated and wondered which would be the best alternative. TBH she was fine last year until she had to go in to hospital to have heart surgery and was on morphine and that made her really constipated and hasn't been right since :/ I just don't want her to get to the point where she doesn't want to go because it hurts her. sad

OP’s posts: |
CountingDownToBedtime Sun 04-Feb-18 21:06:28

I thought the same when trying to switch my Son onto cows milk,so put him back on 3rd stage formula,but he was still struggling to go.Tried lactulose but it kept happening.So went back to the docs who prescribed Movicol paediatric. She said to try altering the dose to suit,which just half a sachet per day has made all the difference.

Babybeesmama Mon 05-Feb-18 18:24:53

I'd see the gp. My little boy did have movicol & it worked. I do think it's the change rather than the milk itself... but I think there are brands that sell milk for constipation x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in