Talk

Advanced search

Please help CMPA desperate!

(14 Posts)
user1489931797 Sat 13-Jan-18 13:07:30

Hi guys

I'm desperate here at wits end my poor DS so upset and uncomfortable! This first 8 weeks of his life have been Terrible for him!

I was EBF up until 6weeks when his weight gain. Had massively slowed down we felt I wasn't supplying his demands so a formula feed addition was suggested however regurgitation, spit up and vomit of old curdled milk increased and was happening after every feed both BF and FF

GP suggested reflux was the issue and err given gaviscon it helped prevent regurgitation as much but DS still seemed uncomfortable and unhappy!

Went back to another GP and he said sounded like CMPA and prescribed Nutramigen once all the old formula had passed a whole lot of old formula if you catch my drift and after 2feeds of Nutramigen he was like a different baby, content when awake and not just crying feeding at 2/3hr intervals and napping and was like this for 24hrs as of yesterday at 10am thought we had really turned a corner this positive change continued yesterday early afternoon.

We got home about 2pm after trip out and he didn't want much lunch about 2oz if that, tried again at 5/6ish again small amount very windy and unhappy then about 3oz just before 9pm initially seemed very aggressively hungry and then quickly refused.

DH took the 10:30 - 1am shift and DS when he woke after being milk drunk was extremely uncomfortable and upset after tiring himself out and DH had tried everything he fell asleep at 1am and I took over at 2am until 7am.

DS slept until 5am in my arms and woke crying I offered him boob for a bit first as was already waiting for bottle to cool once he calmed down changed his nappy and gave him nutragamen formula

He managed nearly 4oz but a lot of winding and and discomfort and screaming after taking milk down.

He finally fell asleep and DH took over at 7am -9am and DH said he woke an hour later with wind and screaming

We have tried a warm bath this morning and hes refuses anymore bottle after a couple sucks so been BFing him for comfort.

It's definitely constipation but it's one thing after another I'm sick of being trial and error and all this back and forth he's so unhappy is there a formula for CMPA that can be prescribed that won't cause constipation?!

It's so upsetting

ButtonLoon Sat 13-Jan-18 13:11:27

Forgive me, but you didn't say, if you are breastfeeding some of the time, have you also given up dairy?

I'm afraid I didn't combination feed with DDs CMPA so I can't advise about that. Hug

user1489931797 Sat 13-Jan-18 19:58:17

Hi @ButtonLoon he pretty much just suckles in me for comfort about twice a day and takes very little down so dr said any small amount of milk I might have with a coffee wouldn't make a difference

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 14-Jan-18 12:31:52

Sorry OP but he isn’t feeding for comfort. If CMPA is suspected and you wish to continue to BF you have to cut all dairy from your diet. It sounds a bit overwhelming st first, but yiu soon get used to it smile

QueenofmyPrinces Sun 14-Jan-18 16:34:26

CMPI baby her too. My son is 5 months old and I have been dairy free for about 10 weeks and it's so hard.

I decided today to try him with some Nutramigen and he refused to take it and was just gagging and screaming.

As the poster above said, ANY milk you have in your diet, no matter how small, WILL have an impact on your baby if he has some of your breast milk. You either need to cut out all dairy from your diet or stop putting him to the breast - there's no middle option unfortunately, regardless of what your GP said.

I've really struggled over the last 10 weeks of being dairy free and him still having symptoms hence why I've decided now that enough is enough and Im going to formula feed. I don't think it's going to be as simple as that though seeing as I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to get him to take it.

honeysucklejasmine Sun 14-Jan-18 17:14:57

I'm dairy free for same reasons. You really can't have any. But I don't find it that hard to avoid and there are tonnes of FB groups for feeding CMPA babies.

In fact I just found out I can get a completely milk free pizza at pizza hut now. Yesssssss. (Dominos pizza has milk in the dough.)

Remember though , it's milk you are avoiding, not just lactose.

It only took a few days for symptoms to subside and few weeks to go completely.

Buxbaum Sun 14-Jan-18 21:26:04

Sorry OP, but PP are right - you either need to stop offering the breast or cut out milk completely from your diet.

user1489931797 Mon 15-Jan-18 19:29:49

Thanks guys that's what I thought I did find it weird that the GP didn't seem to think it necessary but got to say I haven't seen any allergic reactions from him since 80% Nutramigen 20%BF which makes me think the regurgitating isn't CMPA perhaps he was just struggling to digest formula in general

His only issue now is it's massively causing constipation he's going 2-3days without a bowl movement and has swollen firm tummy irritable and then when does pass stools they are dense and heavy like play dooh unless use lactulose but can't go through that forever

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Mon 15-Jan-18 19:37:41

Constipation and a swollen tummy are classic signs of a reaction to dairy. Are you sure that you don’t want to cut it out? smile

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Mon 15-Jan-18 19:37:50

Constipation and a swollen tummyvare classic signs of a reaction to dairy. Are you sure that you don’t want to cut it out? smile

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Mon 15-Jan-18 19:38:00

The constipation and swollen tummy could be from the dairy in your BM.

user1489931797 Mon 15-Jan-18 19:58:30

@EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic I have no issue cutting out dairy at all I'll do anything to make DS comfortable I just keep getting contradictory advice as another GO think the constipation and tummy swelling was from gaviscon but when she saw him he hadn't had a dose in 4days and hasn't had any since will chat to GP again

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Mon 15-Jan-18 20:34:25

Have a read of Dairy and other food sensitivities on Kellymom. Its a sad fact that most HCPs have little or no training on Bfing. Not suggesting you don’t go to the GP, just have a read of the article before you do smile

Is there a Bfing Support Group you can get to this week?

user1489931797 Mon 15-Jan-18 21:41:21

Thanks @EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic spores I ate you're advice! Yes next Monday I'm going to attend for sure!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: