Talk

Advanced search

Green poo and oversupply

(6 Posts)
Loops81 Sat 06-Jan-18 11:59:05

My LO has just turned four months and we've struggled with oversupply/forceful letdown since the early days. She manages the flow pretty well now, but I'm still making too much milk for her - I rarely feel completely "drained". As a result a lot of her poos are green - I assume this is because she's filling up in foremilk and not getting enough hind milk. Can there be any other reason for the green colour? She's also gaining weight slowly (although is very happy and well in herself). I've tried various things like block feeding, expressing in the morning, not expressing, but it only takes a day of growth-spurt feeding to make the supply go nuts again. It's so frustrating because I feel like things should have evened out by now, I feel like my milk just isn't working for her.

OP’s posts: |
PasstheStarmix Sat 06-Jan-18 13:28:04

Have you tried expressing alittle milk off before you feed her? This can reduce be foremilk your dd is consuming and mean she gets extra hind milk and hopefully eliminate the green poos.

PasstheStarmix Sat 06-Jan-18 13:28:19

the

Loops81 Sat 06-Jan-18 13:37:20

I do express a bit off before a feed occasionally. But I feel like that only fixes things temporarily - my body will keep producing that much milk if I keep expressing it out.

OP’s posts: |
TeddyIsaHe Sat 06-Jan-18 13:40:23

I was exactly the same! Took until Dd was around 6 months and starting to wean to even out. I did express a little when I was really full as the foremilk upset her tummy if she had too much. It didn’t increase or decrease my supply that I noticed. It suddenly just gets better, but I get your frustration while you’re going through it!

SomethingOnce Sun 14-Jan-18 09:53:55

DD had this, probably related to undiagnosed tongue tie (noted by LC at 4yo when I took her newborn sibling to a group for assessment). She would feed tenaciously as best she could, stimulating (over)supply, but tired before she could hope to access the hindmilk with her iffy latch. She had lots of short feeds, I was always full to the point of discomfort and she had green poo for ages (normal, according to HV hmm).

Might be worth getting an assessment if you haven’t already.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in