Talk

Advanced search

Ebf 6 week old- introducing a bottle for one feed- how?

(4 Posts)
keeppassingtheopenwindows1 Sun 17-Dec-17 06:25:19

Hi, my child is currently ebf but I want to introduce a bottle for one feed. I don really know how?
- do I express for the milk- if so when is best to do this?
- if I use formula will I get really engorged?
- how do I keep breast milk ok if I am out and about?

If anyone can help I'd be really grateful!

Thanks

espoleta Sun 17-Dec-17 14:12:15

My DD is the same age and I express one feed first thing in the morning for her. I have lots of milk in the morning so she's happy with one boob and I express the other.
Can't speak to formula or engorging or how to keep it ok out and about as we either use it for the 2am feed or freeze it for a night away.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 17-Dec-17 14:48:05

If you use formula for one feed, then you may get a little engorged but your body will adjust.

For me, I found Feeding when out and about was one of the benefits of Bfing as I didn’t have to worry about how many bottles or feeds I took.

If you do want to take ebm out for a feed, have a read of this on Kellymom.

All I know about formula is that the powder has to be mixed with boiling water to kill any bacteria present as it’s not a sterile powder. UNICEF do a useful leaflet here.

Caterina99 Mon 18-Dec-17 04:33:54

We use formula for one feed. It’s almost always the evening or night feed though so I don’t have to worry about bottles out and about. I ff my DS so I know how much of a pain it is compared to bf. Premixed liquid is the easiest if its literally just one bottle a day.

I do often feel a bit engorged after missing the feed, but your body adapts quickly to its new normal

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: