Talk

Advanced search

4 month old fussy at the breast

(9 Posts)
AMagdalena Fri 01-Dec-17 14:35:33

My DD is 17 weeks and in the last few days has been very fussy during feeds between 9am amd 3pm-4pm
She will root for food (click with her tongue, moan at me, look at me in a certain way), but as soon as I offer the breast, she starts fussing, grimacing, pulling away from the breast and even cries at the sound of the bra being undone! I think sometimes she might overtired because if I rock her for a bit, she will ask to be fed again , feed for a few minutes and fall asleep. She will happily breastfeed upon waking, too. No problem in the evening (3-4pm onwards) and night.
As a newborn she was completely breast-obsessed and would feed a lot or just suckle for comfort.
I understand that around this age, babies begin to discover the world around them a lot more and become much more distractible. I also know that they can be quite fussy at this stage. Could this be the cause for this behaviour?

Now, she does have reflux (medicated) and suspected cmpa (I am now df), but this behaviour didn't happen before!
Nipple confusion is not an option. Hates the bottle, will take dummy very occasionally out and about, if she's struggling to fall asleep in the pram.

Should I worry or not? Could she be just not very hungry in daytime or too busy?

Hatstand Fri 01-Dec-17 19:38:32

Going through something similar with 20 week old DD at the moment. I think as well as the distractability, there's something going on to do with the 4 month sleep regression. She seems to need more help getting to sleep and so seeks out the breast for comfort, but is not actually constantly hungry in the same way as she was as a newborn. She's getting better with the dummy so might be worth persevering?

AMagdalena Fri 01-Dec-17 20:12:44

I am kind of worried she's not getting enough milk, so not sure about using the dummy more. She's weeing enough etc., so probably is getting enough. Argh! Can't win.
And you're right. It is so much harder getting her to sleep. Maybe it's coincided with them cutting down on feeds and the distractibility? Feeding her in public is near impossible at the moment...

I miss the days when the breast was the solution to everything, in a way!
I'm just hoping it's not a nursing strike!

AtrociousCircumstance Fri 01-Dec-17 20:14:18

I went through this with both my DC. They settled down quite quickly and I forgot all about it - although I was very worried during! Just keep on keeping on.

Hatstand Fri 01-Dec-17 20:24:35

Can you get her weighed soon to put your mind at ease?

AMagdalena Fri 01-Dec-17 20:27:45

She's due a weigh in any time now, but it's only been the past few days. She's getting chubbier, though, but yeah, going to weigh next week regardless.

AsMuchUseAsAMarzipanDildo Fri 01-Dec-17 20:30:34

I think it’s phase. Certainly with mine she had a developmental leap at 4 months where she was suddenly very distracted and unsettled on the breast. After a couple of weeks she sorted herself out. In the meantime I tried to do lots of lying down feeding on the bed.

AMagdalena Sat 02-Dec-17 11:48:09

Well, she just happily fed on one side when at the same time yesterday she had a screamathon at the sight of the breast.
Really don't get it!

Olivebrach Sat 02-Dec-17 20:09:46

My baby is 17 weeks and I'm going through this too. He has no interest in feeding unless I'm in a near pitch black room with no sound. And he has to be tired and about to sleep or just woke up.
Any sound or a bit of light he pulls off and looks about and refuses anymore, he also cries/shouts at me when I dare to try and feed him (even though I know he is hungry because he is fussy).
I'm hoping it will pass. Although it is majorly annoying if I'm out and about, he is also waking lots in the night probably to make up for less food during the day.
It has to get better at some point .... (Hopefully)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now