Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Do you have a favourite boob?

(13 Posts)
tealandteal Thu 30-Nov-17 21:56:31

Left boob is very helpful, easy to feed DS, easy to pump and generally quite laid back. Right boob had mastitis, likes to spray milk all over DS if he dares to pop off too soon, can be painful to latch and sometimes gives me backache to feed him on that side. Oh and also is difficult to express from!

In all seriousness, does anyone have any ideas why feeding on one side is better than the other? I dread giving him the right side for his long feed before bed.

SmellySphinx Thu 30-Nov-17 22:02:52

The left one! Left arm seems to have more strength to hold baby for longer, it's bigger and the nipple sticks out more! All 3 of mine have favoured the left side as have I. Baby no3 gets both sides when she wakes up at 5-7 she gets in bed with me amd wriggles a lot so it works

Ookmybanana Thu 30-Nov-17 22:16:27

Also left boob. Easier to latch (stupid asymmetry), produces copious amounts of milk, comfortable to hold baby in left arm, expresses 5oz in 15 minutes and has never had a nipple blister. Right boob is too low, prone to aforementioned agonising nipple blisters and seems to produce less milk as well as interesting spurting incidents!

cannotmakemymindup Thu 30-Nov-17 22:31:42

I don't bf anymore but oh I remember this well. Although I think it was my right one. It was the first boob my Dd fed on, when I got to hold her after the emergency C-section.
Really happy to see bf and expressing to from fellow mums. I always recommend if possible.

Efferlunt Thu 30-Nov-17 22:33:57

I don’t remember this with my others but DS3 has a strong preference for left boob. He won’t latch on well to the right and it’s not good for expressing much.

AlcoholicsUnanimous Thu 30-Nov-17 22:39:39

In the early days, it was left as it was easier to hold DD in my left arm. She seemed to prefer the left too, but it changed as she got bigger as was more self sufficient (not quite the right term I'm looking for) whilst feeding.

StrumpersPlunkett Thu 30-Nov-17 22:44:30

Just want to say thanks for making me smile. I am tired reading MN on the active threads page. I didn’t look at the topic just the thread title.
“Do you have a favourite boob?” Was genius. Could have covered many different types of thread. 😁😁😁😁

SpottyGecko Thu 30-Nov-17 22:47:38

Both of mine preferred the right boob

MyBitchFaceIsNeverResting Thu 30-Nov-17 22:50:09

My right boob seems to feel more comfortable to feed from for me. And DD prefers it I think. However my left boob (aka Powerboob) has the best supply and my greedy guzzling DS liked this one best. I can always rely on Powerboob.

ICanTuckMyBoobsInMyPockets Thu 30-Nov-17 23:07:04

Left if I’m sitting up, easier to hold baby and it’s where my cushion is on my spot on the sofa.

Right boob for night feeds as I’m lying down and he’s in the middle of the bed.

I like to think I’m Equal Opportunities when it comes to my boobs 😁

sozmix Thu 30-Nov-17 23:20:42

Both of mine have been massive lefties. The right has been completely out of favour since about 6 months.

tealandteal Fri 01-Dec-17 06:42:45

Seems the split is fairly even between the right and the left. My allegiances have switched to the right following a massive feed and then a sleep from 9-6! I feel like a different person!

parrotonmyshoulder Fri 01-Dec-17 06:45:44

One of mine fed only from the right. For 2 years! I made sure number 2 used the left as well! I preferred holding them to the left, but DD wasn’t having any of it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: