Talk

Advanced search

Will I ever get more than 2 hours sleep?

(8 Posts)
Olivebrach Tue 28-Nov-17 15:20:56

Hey, this is my first post so hope it's ok.
My baby is 16 weeks old and have EBF and we co sleep. It has been ok but just looking for advice.
He wakes up every 2 hours during the night... I know it could be 4 month sleep regression but he has been doing this consistently for over a month now. He has rarely done longer stretches, apart from a few times he has slept 3-5 hours.
I know this will have to end some time, but tbh it's just killing me I feel sleep deprived and have no energy to do anything.
He has 3 naps during the day ranging from 40 mins- 2 hours and I feed him to sleep majority of the time (well all the time really).
My problem is that while he wakes up every 2 hours at night he will happily go longer than this during the day! He is not the best feeder during the day which is why I feed him to sleep, or try to feed him When he has just woke up . Unless he is really hungry he just has none of it and looks around or screams at me.

Anyway just asking..... Will it ever end?? I feel like a good nights sleep (I would happily take 5 hours) is a long way off.

And, how can I encourage him to feed better during the day? Tbh I hate making plans or going out because it just throws him off even more. He barely eats when I'm in my living room, never mind a cafe/busy place. I just find it easier to stay in all day and feed him and lie with him so he stays asleep, but I know I can't always and shouldn't do this.

Sorry for the long post! Any advice would be great

OP’s posts: |
userabcname Tue 28-Nov-17 15:33:59

Hi OP, my 5 month old is very similar! Has always fed every 2 hours (bf as well) and not a good sleeper at all. The longest stretch I've had is 7 hours and he's only done that once - atm we are feeding every 2 hours throughout the night. So you are not alone! To help with distraction, you can get fiddle necklaces for baby to play with while they feed to help focus them. I tend to devote a good hour or two to feeding when I get home if I'm out all day to catch up on feeds. Really just offering milk as much as possible when you're home is all you can do! Good luck and I hope it improves for you soon.

KatoGreen Tue 28-Nov-17 15:45:22

I've heard other friends say in this situ they've set timer during day to bf baby every 2 hrs during day thereby getting lots of feeds in during waking hours

Olivebrach Tue 28-Nov-17 15:45:27

Thanks! Yea I have heard of them I'll look them up!
Hope the nights gets better for you too, it can't last forever!!

afrikat Tue 28-Nov-17 15:50:14

Our '4 month sleep regression' lasted from 3.5 months to 6 months. He woke every 1.5-2 hours and wouldn't settle without boobs so DH couldn't help. It was absolute hell and I've no idea how I survived it but somehow I did and eventually he slept for longer. I used to give him to DH at 5am so I could get a few more hours before he went to work and I'd go to bed as early as possible to get a few hours then. I'd take any opportunity to sleep in the day too and let DH take him out at weekends for a few hours so I could nap. It's just survival at this point!

Olivebrach Tue 28-Nov-17 17:03:26

afrikat yeah I'm hoping it gets better at 6 months when I introduce solids!
My DP works shifts and starts at 2pm every other week so luckily I can have lie ins during them weeks!

MoreSleepPlease6 Tue 28-Nov-17 17:57:26

DS is 8.5 months and feeds every 3 hours (2 hours when teething or ill)... we are seriously considering night weaning in the next few weeks now he's over the bug he had.

WhatEvenIsSleep Tue 28-Nov-17 18:18:43

My 13month old is still a poor sleeper, our usual stretch is 2.5-3 hours. Anything longer is a good night 😫 I've never known tiredness like it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in