Talk

Advanced search

Introducing formula at 6 months

(6 Posts)
puzzlefuzzle Sun 26-Nov-17 12:04:56

DS has just turned 6m and has been ebf so far, I have a 2yr old and cannot find the time or inclination to express but have a few evenings out lined up that I'd love to be able to go to so am thinking introducing formula would be a good idea.

So, would I need to give formula on a regular basis or could I just do it as and when without it affecting my supply? I would like to breastfeed for as long as possible, would the odd missed feed be ok at this stage?

arbrighton Thu 30-Nov-17 20:09:41

supply will be settled enough to cope but do try before the night in question to check your ds will take it!

Ecureuil Thu 30-Nov-17 20:12:08

Has he ever had a bottle? If so you may find he won’t take it... I had two bottle refusers (ended up going straight to cups).
If he’ll take it then yeah, just as and when will be fine.

Rainbowandraindrops67 Thu 30-Nov-17 20:15:01

Go straight to cups - use with his solids
Then if you are out the person looking after him can offer him formula milk out of a cup
If it’s night out then feed before you go, offer formula in cup if he wakes when you are out then you feed him again when you are back

SomeBananasAreStillGreen Thu 30-Nov-17 20:23:02

You can't give formula on a regular basis without affecting your supply - and anyone who tells you different has not understood about the supply and demand basis on which breastfeeding works.

This is not to say that the odd bottle of formula now and then will affect your supply. Everyone deserves an evening out!

If you try introducing formula, it might be best to go slowly. The last thing you want on a night out is to be worrying about your baby settling.

Here is a potential plan:

1. Give expressed breastmilk in a bottle, while cuddling your baby. The taste and comfort of you will be the same, only the bottle is
2. Give formula, while cuddling your baby.
3. Get somebody else to give formula while you are in the room.
4. Get somebody else to give formula while you are not in the room.

I breastfed my eldest for years and never had a night off. He couldn't have formula because of allergies, and couldn't settle without a breast. There was nobody who was willing and able to take care of him. I wish you much luck!

SomeBananasAreStillGreen Thu 30-Nov-17 20:29:49

Actually, going straight to cups is a really good idea smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now