Talk

Advanced search

Harvesting colostrum - where to get syringes?

(8 Posts)
mindutopia Wed 22-Nov-17 10:23:26

I plan to harvest a bit of colostrum if I can this time around as my 1st had an awful time with feeding and weight gain to start and it would be reassuring to know I have it if I need it.

For those who have done it, where did you find syringes with caps? I'm specifically looking for 1 ml ones. They seem to be hard to find with caps or if I can, they are ridiculously expensive.

Dragonfree Wed 22-Nov-17 23:43:53

I did this, but didn't worry about capping the syringes. I just put them in a zip lock bag and then into the fridge (and then freezer after 48 hours if I hadn't given birth....)

It might be worth getting a few urine sample pots too. My breasts were extremely enthusiastic and after a week I was getting 20ml confused

RNBrie Wed 22-Nov-17 23:45:56

I used sterilised calpol syringes.

mindutopia Fri 24-Nov-17 12:52:29

Problem is our freezer drawers are quite small so will have to lie them down (they'll probably fall over anyway as soon as I shut the drawer). So they will need caps on them. Also, all our calpol syringes are so old they leak and again no caps. I'm thinking I may just get some plastic test tubes with caps and I can express straight into those and then cup feed if necessary. We never syringe fed our daughter. I just expressed straight into a cup and fed her from that the first few days.

butterybollocks Fri 01-Dec-17 17:22:04

I got some from eBay - if you go on the gestational diabetes uk website, under harvesting colostrum there is a link. Mine didn't have caps, I just slipped them back in the packaging and froze them straight away in a clip lock box at a slight angle. Colostrum is quire thick and sticky so I didn't have any problems. Then just took that box into the hospital and left it in their fridge.

BabyOrSanta Fri 01-Dec-17 17:36:10

I'm using ones without caps - as long as you're not overflowing the syringe, they don't leak out (so only fill to the shoulders)

Got mine on eBay

minniemummy0 Mon 04-Dec-17 11:42:56

Don’t know if this is a bit late OP but I got some from the antenatal clinic at the hospital, they had them for people with gestational diabetes but were happy to give me some when I asked.

AGnu Mon 04-Dec-17 12:21:03

I bought the syringes & caps separately from eBay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now