Talk

Advanced search

Breast or Bottle

(73 Posts)
user4321 Tue 21-Nov-17 21:18:01

Imagine a world where formula and breast milk were equally nutritious for newborn and the benefits of BF were unknown.

I’m wondering if this were the case, what the general opinion is on what is the easiest way to feed baby and which method is more likely to cause problems at the beginning, and statistically, which method would be better for a happy mother and baby?

Bella8 Tue 21-Nov-17 22:11:57

Depends on the mother in question as what is easy for one person isn't for another. Best to try breast feeding first and if it's not for you change to bottle. There is no way of telling how breastfeeding will go until you try it. Some women struggle and some woman have no problems at all and find it so easy.

sonlypuppyfat Tue 21-Nov-17 22:15:33

I found breastfeeding so easy, I never even left my bed during a night feed. I had loads of milk and no problems I must have saved a fortune

fabulous01 Tue 21-Nov-17 22:24:15

My milk didn’t come but formula was absolutely fine for lots of reasons
A happy child and a happy mother is the main thing

Ropsleybunny Tue 21-Nov-17 22:26:43

BF is cheaper and is always on tap. No bottles to make up and no sterilising to do. It worked for me but not everyone finds that it’s for them.

user1468353179 Tue 21-Nov-17 22:30:42

Whatever is best for you. A baby just needs food and a happy mum.

BikeRunSki Tue 21-Nov-17 22:31:36

Breastfeeding made for a very miserable mother and baby here. Bottle feeding worked mavellously though. No ill effects. Too many variables for there to be a blanket “best” in the hypothetical situation put forward by the OP.

MiniAlphaBravo Tue 21-Nov-17 22:33:40

Breastfeeding! So easy and cheap.

Ideally with a baby who will take a bottle if you need to have a little break smile

Heratnumber7 Tue 21-Nov-17 22:35:35

I hated breast feeding. Gave up at 6 weeks and never even tried with nbr 2.
Bottle feeding every time for me.

Marcine Tue 21-Nov-17 22:37:57

I breastfed because I and the babies enjoyed it, I think the health benefits are pretty marginal. Staying in bed at night, not having to plan ahead etc very nice too.

Topseyt Tue 21-Nov-17 22:55:02

Bottle feeding for me too. I regretted ever trying breastfeeding and gave it up after only 4 days with DD1. Nothing on earth could have persuaded me to try it again with DDs 2 and 3.

BrioAmio Tue 21-Nov-17 22:57:37

A mixture of both! Whap tits out in the middle of the night and you’ve always got safely prepared ready to go milk on hand and bottles so your husband can take a turn too whilst you go out.

Kbeeb1992 Tue 21-Nov-17 23:15:03

I bottle fed my first as i was only yound and it just wasnt for me at the time and she turned out fine. Im currently breastfeeding my 9 week old and its going well, im really enjoying the closeness but on the other hand he is so attached to me now he wont take a bottle from me or anyone else. Im kind of loving how much he wants to just be with me but sometimes find it hard since im the only one who can settle him. I wud say try and breastfeed but also pump and feed from a bottle quite early on so they are used to both just incase it doesnt work out. I know midwives and docs might say you shouldnt but their not the ones who have to do it! Sorry about the long post no body warned me that he might refuse a bottle altogether and i wish someone had!

Madbee Wed 22-Nov-17 02:15:02

In that hypothetical situation I'd do a mix - BF is convenient the majority of the time, but would be good to have the option of a bottle for Dad to do a couple of feeds.

sycamore54321 Wed 22-Nov-17 02:35:24

In your imaginary world, it would have to be bottle feeding. I combo fed both of mine. Snuggling with a bottle is every bit as delightful as snuggling while breastfeeding. And the enormous advantage of bottle feeding is that it need not be the mother all the time. The mother can rest, recuperate, recover from birth, have proper time to sleep, to tend to stitches and/or wound care and I think would be in better physical and emotional shape.

I felt such a failure for combo feeding my first, despite clearly not making an adequate milk supply ton nourish him entirely. And I tried all the tricks and tips and for me, they only worked at the margins. I eventually realised that I don't make enough breast milk for it to be the sole source of nutrition for an infant. And that's ok because thankfully I live in a time and place where formula is accessible, safe and perfectly healthy.

For me, breastfeeding was far from free - lactation consultation visits, breast pump hire, nipple shields, additional doctors visits for my slow-gaining child, nursing bras and clothes - were all expenses that I felt pressured into to be sure I had given breastfeeding my best shot.

I absolutely despise the pressure around feeding choices. Adequate intake of safe milk - whether breast, formula, pumped or some combination - given with love and care is all that matters.

MissUnderwood Wed 22-Nov-17 03:29:21

I can only tell you what I know. I have two big, healthy lads who I breastfed. Healthy, tall, bright and well attached. Best method for me and best method for them. I have no care for making up milk, cleaning bottles and getting the temp of the milk right

I waited for my milk to come in, I whooped my boob out and fed 'until the cows came home', no pun intended.

Sounds like you want a fight. I'm not about to fight about what you're looking for. I found it easy and fair enough some mother don't.

Out and over

Bah

MissUnderwood Wed 22-Nov-17 03:30:29

Breastfeeding is easy. It is

You win

MissUnderwood Wed 22-Nov-17 03:32:36

I went through weeks of cracked nipple and bitten to shreds months later... It still was easy and worth it.

Sorry

Me bad

Bue Wed 22-Nov-17 03:53:11

Breastfeeding.

I realised the other day that bottle feeders probably can't scroll through Mumsnet while feeding their LOs because their hands aren't free!

I would have far fewer excuses to sit on my arse with a cup of tea and MN if I were bottle feeding.

Yes I realise that while BF I am supposed to be interacting with my child blush

astonished19 Wed 22-Nov-17 03:57:15

Breastfeeding provides a lot of nutrition and reduce his risk of developing chronic conditions, such as type I diabetes, celiac disease and Crohn's disease.
And that feeling of the baby in your arms.. that's priceless.

FirsttimemumJan18 Wed 22-Nov-17 04:01:28

I’m hoping to do a combination of BF & bottle feeding when our DD arrives anytime from 5th Jan...I cannot believe she is gonna be here soon! Only so my DP can help with feeds too, especially when I go back to work. Does anyone have advice re breast pumps and the storage of breast milk. I’m keen to get any advice I can. I’m aware that BF May just not work out for me but here’s hoping...

Topseyt Wed 22-Nov-17 07:36:28

MissUnderwood, that seems a little overly defensive. Where do you get the impression of anyone looking for a fight?

I certainly don't. Just a discussion about own experiences, which is what others are giving.

Kbeeb1992 Wed 22-Nov-17 08:15:10

I totally agree with sycamore, the pressure around breastfeeding is unreal at the moment, do whatever is best for you and dont let anyone make you feel like a failure if whatever you choose, i had a horrible breastfeeding wifey at mine the other day who actually brought up why i didnt breastfeed my seven yr old and made me feel really bad. My first was bottle second breast they r both happy and healthy and i enjoyed both. Cant stand the judgement on ppl these days lol .

LuchiMangsho Wed 22-Nov-17 08:22:43

For DS1 breastfeeding. It was so easy, he was happy, I was happy, he weaned off it after a year and by 4 months he was feeding 6-7 times a day for less than 10 months. He could drain both boobs in ten minutes flat. So less than an hour a day feeding. Could be out and about. And we had a nice routine.
DS2 was v v v prem. He latched on at 29 weeks gestation which was so amazing that the doctors brought half the NICU to stare at my boobs and the miracle baby. We did establish breastfeeding. He never took to it in the same way though. By 7 months he was bottle fed expressed milk and formula.

So the answer is: depends on the baby!

LuchiMangsho Wed 22-Nov-17 08:24:36

Although i should say here that for prem babies breastmilk can be life saving in protecting against NEC, which is a near fatal condition that only premature babies get. It is what preemie parents live in dread and fear of. Every small vomit, bilious aspirate, slightly swollen tummy and we were on NEC watch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now