Talk

Advanced search

2 week old suddenly bringing up every feed

(10 Posts)
upthewolves Mon 13-Nov-17 02:16:35

Hi all. DS is 2 weeks today. Feeding has been going well up til now, no issues with latch or supply, felt quite confident after lots of difficulties establishing bfing with DD!

However, past 2 days he is constantly bringing the milk back up. I wind him after each feed and lie him upright on my chest for about 15 mins after he's done but the moment I lie him flat it just comes back up! Last night he brought up every feed meaning I ended up feeding him constantly to keep him full.

He feeds about every 1.5-2hrs in the day and 2-2.5 hrs at night. He only feeds for about 5-10 mins at a time. He is bringing the feed back up within about half an hour.

Anyone have any ideas? We are still getting plenty of wet and dirty nappies but I am worried he will not be getting enough milk this way and it also means I can't put him down at all in case it comes back up!!

QueenAmongstMen Mon 13-Nov-17 13:59:55

I think you definitely need to see your GP.

My DS was the same and when he saw the GP I was sent to A&E to rule out Pyloric Stenosis which typically presents at 6-8 weeks and is a condition that typically affects boys.

I'm not saying your little one has that (obviously) but I think that due to his age you need to get him seem to ensure that he's not dehydrated, or doesn't get dehydrated, or if there is a medical reason for his vomiting.

upthewolves Mon 13-Nov-17 17:01:50

Thank you Queen. I'm going to call GP in morning. It's now 1am and he slept (finally!) For 3 hours. he just woke up and I fed him and gently lifted him over my shoulder and he forcefully brought the entire feed up over us both. I could cry!

This baby has basically slept for the first 2 weeks of his life. We have been in awe of how little trouble he is. But the past 24hrs I have barely been able to put him down. My gut is telling me something isn't right sad

Nifflerbowtruckle Mon 13-Nov-17 17:35:25

My husband had pyloric stenosis as a baby. He was basically like this, his mum used to lie awake waiting for him to throw up so she could put him down to sleep.

upthewolves Mon 13-Nov-17 17:39:38

Yes, after he is sick he seems to become calmer. After the massive throw up he fell asleep but I have fed him again and sat completely still with him still asleep on the breast for half an hour and have just transferred him to his Moses basket. Fingers crossed it stays down and I get a couple of hours sleep. I'm exhausted!

I also wondered about oversupply of milk because he is a very noisy feeder and often comes off the breast with it spraying in his face in the first few minutes of feeding. I'm not sure why this would only just started affecting him now though.

upthewolves Mon 13-Nov-17 17:39:38

Yes, after he is sick he seems to become calmer. After the massive throw up he fell asleep but I have fed him again and sat completely still with him still asleep on the breast for half an hour and have just transferred him to his Moses basket. Fingers crossed it stays down and I get a couple of hours sleep. I'm exhausted!

I also wondered about oversupply of milk because he is a very noisy feeder and often comes off the breast with it spraying in his face in the first few minutes of feeding. I'm not sure why this would only just started affecting him now though.

BakerBear Mon 13-Nov-17 17:43:16

I had a baby that threw up all the time. I was constantly listening out for him at night waiting for him to throw up. It was awful.

ginandnappies Mon 13-Nov-17 17:44:06

It could be reflux? My little one started getting it at 2 weeks. I know some cases are more severe than others. My friends Baby brought up every single feed. Worth a shot looking into x

oliversax Mon 13-Nov-17 17:44:22

Def get checked out but just wanted to add that I had this with DD and it was caused by reflux. She would vomit huge amounts after each feed but wanted to constantly feed because she was in pain. I took her to the gp but also found block feeding on the same breast for a few feeds in a row rather than alternating helpful. I kept her up right for 30 mins after a feed where possible.

upthewolves Tue 14-Nov-17 01:00:48

Thanks all. He seems a bit more comfortable today but I will call the gp anyway. Will also try the block feeding suggestion, it makes sense that would help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now