Talk

Advanced search

13 month old asking for bf then biting

(11 Posts)
0hCrepe Sun 12-Nov-17 17:03:11

My 13 month old has suddenly started biting me all the time as soon as she latches on. I’ve tried no, pulling her in, moving away etc. She’s scrabbling at me to feed but then bites, immediately, and then pulls off whilst it’s clamped in her teeth. She’s taking a bottle as an alternative ok but I’m used to feeding. She just seems off it. She’s had a tummy upset but I feel like I taste disgusting!! She also had hives so I’m also concerned she’s allergic to something. I’m happy to wean if that’s what she wants, though I’d prefer to continue bf as it’s easier, she was so keen though! Any advice?

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Tue 14-Nov-17 15:52:07

I’d give one of the Bfing Helplines a call Oh and see if they can offer sone suggestions.

Have the hives gone now?

0hCrepe Tue 14-Nov-17 17:05:05

Thank you for replying. Yes the hives have gone but she still has little appetite, diarrhoea yesterday and a few days before that. Today she’s sleepy and crying on and off. I’ve given her a dummy to chew. I’ve managed to bf her in her sleep last night but not apart from that. I’m thinking maybe teething or an ear infection?

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Tue 14-Nov-17 20:21:33

It could be either I suppose. Have you managed to have a feel to see if she has any teeth coming through? —without losing fingers—

Could you try her with a dose of ibruprofen roughly half an hour before you try and feed her and a teething gel just before she latches on?

Other good things to give her to chew on if you think it may be teething are ebm lollies, big chunks of cool cucumber, a frozen banana or a clean, cold wet flannel.

If she has a temperature, I’d take her to the GP in the morning though, just to get her ears, throat and tummy checked.

Hope she’s feeling better soon smile

0hCrepe Tue 14-Nov-17 20:37:50

I’ll try with the ibuprofen tomorrow and take her to gp if a temp. Dh took her last Friday with the hives and he said it was probably viral. She was still bf a lot then. She has a little white dot on her gum which she has has since I can remember which is where I’d expect her next tooth to come- the 4th at the bottom. Maybe that is hurting her?

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Tue 14-Nov-17 20:43:22

It probably is, poor little sole thanks

Jojobythesea Tue 14-Nov-17 20:44:51

My DS did this at 9 months. I said no a couple of times and then he wouldn’t BF at all. shock He’d never had a bottle and wouldn’t entertain it, so he went straight on to cups, milky breakfasts, cheese etc for lots of calcium. He’s 12 now and fine!

0hCrepe Tue 14-Nov-17 20:46:15

Thanks smile she’s asleep on my chest right now I’m wondering how to extricate myself or even try and give her a dream feed.

0hCrepe Tue 14-Nov-17 20:49:35

Thanks jojo my sister said same that she’s just had enough. It just seems so quick and odd! My older dd fed obsessively till I said no more when she was 2 so this has taken me by surprise. She’s my last and I’m not ready!!

0hCrepe Tue 14-Nov-17 20:50:08

Thanks jojo my sister said same that she’s just had enough. It just seems so quick and odd! My older dd fed obsessively till I said no more when she was 2 so this has taken me by surprise. She’s my last and I’m not ready!!

icclemunchy Tue 14-Nov-17 21:26:08

It’s fairly common at this age. When they bite pull them closer not away from you. They let go once their nose is covered and saves your poor nips a bit.

I highly recommend la leche. A local group of you can or their helpline which is 24/7. All leaders are trained but are also mums who have/are breastfeeding smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now