Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

4 week old - stinky and not pooing!

(7 Posts)
Madbee Fri 10-Nov-17 13:14:24

My 4 week old hasn't pooed for about 3 days - I know this can be normal for EBF babies, but she also seems to have a ridiculous amount of wind and it smells awful. She has also been bringing up more milk than usual after feeding and in the half hour after. She was quite unsettled last night which I think was due to the wind, she seems uncomfortable with it, but she is fairly content this morning despite the sick.

Basically, I'm an anxious first time mum and don't know if I should be legitimately worried or not. HV was non-committal when I phoned and said probably ok if she is still having wet nappies, but, quote 'you know her better than anyone' so not sure if that means worry and phone doctor as it's not quite normal, or don't worry but also don't blame me if it does turn out to be something!

Sorry for potentially overthought question, being at home on my own with a newborn apparently doesn't do my perspective much good wink

AnonEvent Fri 10-Nov-17 13:24:56

It's a good question and one that I considered a lot when DD was very little. She would go through phases where she wouldn't poo for several days, at the time the HV said that up to a week is fine (so long as she was still having wet nappies).

Even now at a year old she sometimes doesn't poo for three or four days, and every time I still worry a bit, I usually find that she's just storing-up a mega-poo to surprise us with.

Have you tried gently rubbing her stomach (they say in a clockwise) direction, and cycling her legs? We found that helpful.

And, even if it's more than likely that there's nothing wrong, if you're worried it's always best to take them to the Doc/HV when they're so little.

user1493413286 Fri 10-Nov-17 13:33:03

I called the doctor after my DD hadn’t pooed for 4 days at a few weeks old and he was quite reassuring, asking lots of questions about how she was generally and said to phone back if she hadn’t gone by 7 days.
That evevening I then gave her a warm bath and did the cycling of the legs and she did a massive poo.
If you’re worrying though I’d ring the doctor as it made me feel reassured.

Madbee Fri 10-Nov-17 13:44:37

Thanks both, tried bath and cycling legs (she flails them about herself when windy too!).

Going to give the doc a call I think, she just doesn't seem quite right.

AnonEvent Sat 11-Nov-17 23:48:52

Did you manage to speak to the doc? I hope your DD is pooping for Britain today!

Madbee Sun 12-Nov-17 09:18:27

Thanks Anon, doc was very reassuring and 3 hours later... yep, giant poonami! She was much happier afterwards smile

AnonEvent Sun 12-Nov-17 17:38:41

Oh good, never have I been so pleased to see a poo than on the fifth day... even at a year old, you still count the days that they’re blocked-up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: