Talk

Advanced search

Using a breast pump whilst ebf - totally clueless!

(6 Posts)
ashaj92 Fri 10-Nov-17 09:37:13

My baby boy is 8 days old now. We’ve had a variety of problems related to feeding, and now have been told he’s suspected to have either colic or silent reflux (something the midwives and GP are in dispute about, but for now the baby gaviscon appears to be working so fingers crossed..)
Because of the colic/reflux he just wants to feed constantly, we think more out of comfort than actual hunger. I love feeding him myself, but I feel as though he’s now permanently attached to me for feeding so I’m thinking about getting a breast pump to express the milk, so I can still feed him fairly on demand and continue bf for as long as possible, give my boobs a rest and also let DH do the odd feed here and there.
Basically - I have absolutely no idea how the pumping scenario works.
Does it mean I initially have to skip a feed to ensure I can pump a sufficient amount?
Can I feed baby off one boob and pump the other?
I’m looking at getting the lasinoh electric breast pump As found a good deal online, if anyone’s used this is it any good??
I don’t think I’m in danger of losing a good supply if I start pumping as definitely never had a problem in getting a flow going lol, baby just has to whimper and they’re leaking ready to go!
Just looking for a bit of help in the right direction. Any advice greatly appreciated!!

buzzmoon Fri 10-Nov-17 09:38:34

Congrats on your baby boy! I have no idea unfortunately as I am due in 2 weeks but am very interested in doing the same so would welcome any advice! smile

sunseasand25 Fri 10-Nov-17 09:41:25

I’d recommend a medela electric pump. I found the manual ones rubbish. It is easier to express on one side while feeding on the other (although a bit of a faf) cos more milk comes out. And if you do it first thing in the morning you’ll get most.

sunseasand25 Fri 10-Nov-17 09:43:26

Sorry just saw lasinoh pump-looks similar to the medela one and seems to get good reviews on Amazon - main thing is get an electric one.

ashaj92 Fri 10-Nov-17 09:50:24

Thank you buzzmoon 😊

sunseasand Thanks for the advice- yes definitely want an electric one, I bought one of those all singing and dancing tommee tippee bottle feeding kits when I was pregnant, as a ‘just in case’ I couldn’t get on with ebf, there was a manual pump in there but I gave up after 10 minutes of pumping and practically no result and a sore hand and forearm lol.

sunseasand25 Fri 10-Nov-17 18:45:36

Yeh I have no idea how anyone gets milk with a manual one. It was a total waste of money for me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: