Talk

Advanced search

Confused about infacol dose

(17 Posts)
Jellybabie3 Thu 09-Nov-17 12:45:54

I'm bf. Says one dropper at each feed but ds (1month old) feeds sometimes every half hour. So i need to give it that frequently??

Last night he was in terrible pain and farting like a trumpet. He didnt sleep at all

Jellybabie3 Thu 09-Nov-17 12:48:41

Because he often cluster feeds..

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 09-Nov-17 13:18:48

The dropper is only 1/2 a ml anyway I think, it's not much. I think infacol is one if those things that needs to be done regularly for it to work? I forget now, but can they have gripe water at 4 weeks? I found a few ml of gripe water much more effective than infacol, and you can give that between feeds not before. I used the dropper from an old infacol bottle and would give gripe water mid feed sometimes. I had a cluster feeding, refluxy, tongue tied Ds and the gripe water seemed to help a little.

Jellybabie3 Thu 09-Nov-17 13:31:31

Ah ok great thanks. Pharmacist told me to get infacol over gripe water as i am ebf confused

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 09-Nov-17 13:57:55

I think it's that they do different things- you could use both if necessary. Infacol helps join up tiny bubbles into bigger 'burp worthy' bubbles, but unless you then bring that wind up, they still have that big bubble of wind to get rid of. Gripe water seems to soothe their tummy a bit, it's quite warming (take some yourself to try it, it's lovely!) we found it very good when they have crampy 'griping' pains.

Jellybabie3 Thu 09-Nov-17 14:11:30

Hmm I'm not convinced i have right thing then. He was writhing and straining to fart

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 09-Nov-17 14:18:16

Some breastfed babies won't burp much anyway, so infacol might not be the best thing. It could be that something you're eating is giving him a bit of stomach ache 'further down', I could never eat beans or onions while I was breastfeeding. You could try giving gripe water as well, when his tummy seems crampy? It's so hard, I remember those days so well although they feel like a lifetime away now!

Jellybabie3 Thu 09-Nov-17 14:30:21

Ah ok so gripe water doesnt need to be given all the time like infacol?

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 09-Nov-17 14:33:19

No, it's a sort of 'as needed' thing, there is a max number of doses a day but you don't have to give it at all unless you need to.

Jellybabie3 Thu 09-Nov-17 14:38:20

Oh ffs i am annoyed i have the wrong thing. Bloody pharmacist

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 09-Nov-17 14:42:29

To be honest, unless the pharmacist is particularly clued up or had been through it themselves, they probably wouldn't know the difference. These things aren't pharmacy only products. Gripe water is quite an old fashioned thing as well, although it used to have alcohol in it (doesn't now!). I'd just get some next time you're out and see how you get on, but do check the label- I think it's from 4 weeks but might be 8. Save an infacol dropper to get it into the baby's mouth because for some reason even the most sleepy baby seems to be able to whack a spoonful of gripe water out of your hand and it goes everywhere!!

Jellybabie3 Thu 09-Nov-17 14:48:26

You think give up on infacol?

chocolateorangeowls Thu 09-Nov-17 15:02:24

Personally I breastfed my baby and found gripe water made her a lot worse but infacol really helped. However it did take a while for the infacol to start working properly (like a good few days). I tended to give it when she fed every couple of feeds rather than all the time when she was cluster feeding.

Jellybabie3 Thu 09-Nov-17 15:11:12

Hmm ok thank you!

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 09-Nov-17 15:35:52

I'd probably continue infacol and give gripe water too if you think he needs something else as well.

RatRolyPoly Thu 09-Nov-17 16:04:32

Same experience as chocolate, Infacol really helped bf ds. Don't accidentally spill a whole bottle of it over your baby whilst trying to efficiently night-feed without turning the light on though. It isn't as fun as sounds. Then definitely don't do the same thing with Calpol a few months later. Things will definitely improve on the gas front whatever you do or don't use though OP, hopefully sooner rather than later!

Spam88 Wed 15-Nov-17 19:27:52

Gripe water is from a month, so you could try it now. Infacol worked for us in the early days though. I generally only have it if it had been 2 hours or more since she last had it, because she was also on the boob all the flipping time some days.

We’re using dentinox now which seems to be working better for her. The dose is 2.5ml though and I think I’d have struggled getting that into her when she was little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now