Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Those who use a haaka/naturebond pump

(6 Posts)
SleepForTheWeek Mon 06-Nov-17 13:37:03

My naturebond arrived today and I was quite excited. DD is 20 weeks and although refuses a bottle she is taking tiny sips of water out of her free flow cup so thought I could introduce expressed milk this way. I have a tommee tippee manual pump and medela swing electric pump but really struggle to get much and it’s a bit of a faff sterilising etc.

Anyway, I just used it for the first time and got 1oz which is actually quite good as I had only fed DD an hour before (she usually goes 3-4 hour between feeds) and it was only for 5mins

I found it really awkward though. I feed DD in the cross cradle position so she kept knocking the pump off, I tried holding her differently but she wasn’t a fan, so ended up having the pump in a kind of sideways position which wouldn’t have been most effective.

How does everyone else do it?

SleepForTheWeek Mon 06-Nov-17 19:14:07

Bump

Hatstand Mon 06-Nov-17 20:45:05

Hi Sleep, I use a haaka. Not much advice as I spend most of the time trying to stop DD kicking it off! But hopefully this will bump the thread until someone with more experience comes along.

SleepForTheWeek Mon 06-Nov-17 22:15:33

Thank you - how do you attach it when baby is feeding? Do you have to hold it at an angle? Do you ever use it when not feeding?

Hatstand Tue 07-Nov-17 03:11:40

I get lots of cushions involved so I can lean forward a bit. It really varies as to how much I get each time. I've had limited success when not feeding tbh, but I can sometimes get a few oz by attaching it immediately after feeding from the other side. I also find I get more if I hand express a little first. I'm only pumping once a day at most though, usually either first thing in the morning or after she's had a long nap. I think if I was doing more I'd be getting fed up with the haaka by now.

user1471481356 Tue 07-Nov-17 03:28:18

I attach it before my son latches, then I hold it while he feeds. He has kicked it off a couple times!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: