Talk

Advanced search

Reflux help please

(4 Posts)
lillianhom Mon 06-Nov-17 10:34:26

Hi, I’m wondering if anyone has any advice.

My 8 week old baby seems to suffer from silent reflux and sometimes the odd posseting. She also seems to get quite chesty after a feed (could this be dysphagia??).

She arches her back after a couple of sucks from her bottle and screams and cries. Every bottle is a fight. She coughs and gags her way through it over an hour plus. She will only take .5-1oz at a time and very slowly.

I took her to the GP who prescribed infant gaviscon but this did nothing except make her constipated.

She has not had any common symptoms of cmpa however the GP referred her to the paediatric dietician who has now put her on nutramigen puramino and carobel. I express breast milk (she never latched) and substitute the rest with formula. I am also no longer eating any dairy.

Since going on this new formula she is no longer interested in eating. She has only eaten 15oz today when before she was eating around 30 (this would be around 30 separate feeds a day). She has never taken a big feed. She does not sleep in the day. She has been awake for 16 hours straight on several occasions yet the GP doesn’t seem concerned.

Her weight gain is fine so far.

I am at my wits end! Has anyone experienced anything like this??

lillianhom Mon 06-Nov-17 10:34:59

Sorry, 15oz yesterday.

AnaKristina Fri 01-Dec-17 21:41:07

Why do they suspect cow milk allergy/intolerance? This is why a special formula. Cow milk allergy can mimic reflux but the second is much more common. Those special milks are very processed and have horrible taste and it's not easy to make baby have them. Ranitidine would be the next step after gaviscon. Speak to them and ask for the rationale for the formula that has been prescribed. Also mixing the bad taste formula with a good taste one and increasing the content of the bad tasting one can help in acceptance but ask them for an advice

ArnoldBee Fri 01-Dec-17 21:46:35

Have you ruled out colic? I feel.for you as my little suffered and spent most of his day and his tummy across a knee having his back being patted. It settled down with the introduction of solids earlier than 6 months as recommended by the hv. It was he'll as he screamed 24 hours a day and dropped several percentiles. In your case if baby's weight is fine you will need to be more persistent with the next steps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now