Talk

Advanced search

24 breastfeeding break- will it be an issue?

(7 Posts)
sophie150 Sat 04-Nov-17 09:41:07

I need to have an MRI using a contrast dye when my baby will be 4.5 months. After the MRI I can't feed her for 24 hrs so have to pump and dump.
She hasn't had a bottle yet (she's 9 weeks). I did plan anyway to try her soon so she could have the occasional expressed bottle, but the odd bottle is very different to a whole 24 hrs. I'm worried there's a risk she won't want the breast after this. Anyone got any experience of this?
It may all be irrelevant if I can't get her to take a bottle though! There is an option to not have the dye but obviously the MRI won't tell them everything it needs to.
Any advice/ experience welcome so I can make a decision!
Thanks

EllaHen Sat 04-Nov-17 09:43:21

She'll be fine and will happily go back on the breast. Honestly.

PonderLand Sat 04-Nov-17 09:46:56

What is the dye? Is it radio-active? I had a scan 1 week post birth to check for blood clots and got told the same to pump and dump and also to not hold the baby for 24 hours, I later found out the milk was fine but the skin contact was the issue.

My son took the bottle fine, we got ready made formula form the ward for the 24 hours and then I went back to bf with no real issues.

furryelephant Sat 04-Nov-17 09:47:13

Have you checked the drugs in breast milk page? I believe that you can actually continue feeding after having contrast!

https://breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/MRI%20and%20breastfeeding.pdf

furryelephant Sat 04-Nov-17 09:48:04

There’s also a contact page on the website if you don’t find the specific thing you need on there. smile

sophie150 Sat 04-Nov-17 09:53:21

Thanks furry - that's really interesting! I'll definitely to the appointment to discuss.

Thanks everyone

furryelephant Sat 04-Nov-17 10:01:50

A lot of Doctors sadly are not up to date with what drugs you can or can’t take when breastfeeding, it’s shocking really shock

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: