Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

beginning to dread and hate night time.

(9 Posts)
Toonewtobehaving2 Fri 03-Nov-17 15:06:17

I've just had my second baby via C-section. I managed to BF my first for 11 months after a seriously rocky start. So I know I can do it and am really keen to get on top of this as soon as possible.

My DS is now just over two weeks old and is currently EBF. He hasn't had any bottles so far, unlike my DD who at this age who had to be topped up. Thing is, he's waking all night after sleeping for only an hour, he then feeds for around 30/40 mins before becoming extremely unsettled. Crying, pumping his legs, arching his back and actually wailing to the point it sounds like he's dying! Eventually after much cuddling, patting and rubbing his passes out and falls back asleep. This can take anywhere up to an hour with him literally screaming in my ear. I've spoken to the MW and HV and they have offered 'maybe it's wind' 'maybe its colic' but nothing more helpful than that and certainly no advise to combat the problem. It's beginning to get a bit soul destroying. It feels like I'm unable to comfort him.
We have just got to the stage when my nipples have stopped bleeding and generally feel more comfortable. But since this has happened he's become a much more noisey feeder. I think I can hear him swallowing air and a click sort of sound. But when I take himnoff and relatch without the click it hurts like crazy again and my nipples bleed again after?!?
I've also been able to express this time round with a electric pump, getting around 3oz from each breast within about 15mins.
So I guess what I'm asking is - does anyone have any clue as to why my DS is so unsettled after feeding. It's not just at night it's in the day too, but much worse late evening.
Also - would anyone advise introducing a bottle of EBM into the night routine mainly so I can have a break, but also so he can get used to taking a bottle.
And lastly - if I do give a bottle, how much should I be giving him?

Please - any help would really be appreciated.

Toonewtobehaving2 Fri 03-Nov-17 15:09:09

Oh - meant to add, he's gaining wait amazingly. Back up and over birthweight by his 10 day check. He was 8lb14oz at birth and 9lb7oz at day 10.
He also sleeps well during the day, having at least one 3/4 hour nap, if not too. (His clock is seriously back to front)
He also pops and wees loads so I know it's all going in and coming out ok.

I just need to sleep more at night as I also have a 22 month old and also need to feel like he's happy and not in constant pain when ever he's awake and not feeding! 😞

Toonewtobehaving2 Fri 03-Nov-17 15:10:03

That's 3 to 4 hour nap. Not three quarters

EssentialHummus Fri 03-Nov-17 15:14:41

Not an expert but from recent experience-

Quantity guidelines are on formula box, I find them generous though.

I’d suggest expressing some amount as your supply may still be getting established.

Before three weeks seems (anecdotally) the best time to introduce a bottle without them rejecting it.

DonkeyOaty Fri 03-Nov-17 15:38:54

Clicking can be an indication of a TT. Has anyone (a professional) had a look?

Toonewtobehaving2 Sat 04-Nov-17 05:38:33

Sorry for late reply, I don't seem to get any notifications.
Apparently DS does have a posterior tounge tie, but not enough for the NHS to do anything. It shouldn't apparently effect his feeding?

CluelessMummy Sat 04-Nov-17 05:47:28

Arching of the back does sound like wind. Our DD had reflux and would often get this too - she only liked being kept upright and would scream when put flat - does that sound like yours? We tilted her Moses basket by putting books underneath the "head" end and that did help a little. Although in the end we did medicate (at around 8 weeks) as while she put a phenomenal amount of weight on very early on, it tapered off and she would regurgitate more and more of her feeds as time passed. The clicking does sound like tongue tie - are you getting a good latch? The fact that your nipples are bleeding might also mean it's a bit off.

DonkeyOaty Sat 04-Nov-17 09:46:45

Milk Matters give them a ring, they might be able to point you to getting a second opinion re PTT and getting it sorted.

Good luck.

ElizabethShaw Sat 04-Nov-17 15:19:46

If you have bleeding (!) nipples then it seems pretty clear his TT is having an effect!

He's probably swallowing lots of air hence the discomfort. Are you winding him?

For ebm I would work on approximately an oz per hour, so if he feeds every 3 hours then offer a 3oz bottle. I freeze milk in 2oz cups and my baby tends to have 2oz at a time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now