Talk

Advanced search

Is this too much milk??

(4 Posts)
fluffywhitesheets Thu 02-Nov-17 03:30:45

My little boy is 4 months old, but was born a month early so on the small side, still just under 12lbs.

He is breastfed all day, every 2.5-3 hours and very rarely cries from hunger as I offer him the breast before he shows too many signs of wanting it generally. Late afternoons we'll often snuggle up and feed more.

At 7pm he has a bottle- either expressed my ok or formula before bed. He's started drinking more and more and currently has an average of 250mls. If we stop feeding him before he's had what he wants he screams.

He then sleeps until 3am where I breastfeed and he has a small formula topup of up to 80mls.

Is it ok that he drinks quite so much in one feed at 7pm? I'm terrified of stretching his stomach or something, or teaching him to need an enormous meal/feed before bed?

Cupcakegirl13 Thu 02-Nov-17 04:40:29

If he is drinking it happily and then sleeping a good chunk keep it up ! He would soon let you know if he was uncomfortable

Lozmatoz Thu 02-Nov-17 05:08:38

He NEEDS more. He’s getting bigger and stronger. His tummy will be stretching, but he’s gearing up for real food eventually and needs more to put on weight. He’s screaming because he’s not finished. You don’t measure how much BM he’s taking, so don’t worry about it when it’s from a bottle. It sounds like he’s doing a great job!

calamityjam Thu 02-Nov-17 05:19:13

Its very normal for babies to feed more in the evening. He's feeding well because he was early so is probably still catching up

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: