Talk

Advanced search

Best formula-confused ! Which do you use?

(27 Posts)
formulaconfusion Mon 30-Oct-17 21:40:59

Planning to combi feed baby due in Dec and I’m so confused by the choice....
Everyone seems to say aptamil is the best....then I hear that cow and gate is the same ....but aptamil seems to be the one everyone I know uses...

Was looking at sma and hipp as well and I’m confused. All the extras that are marketed .....dha, probiotics etc etc ....
Can anyone tell me which one they use and why it’s the best choice for them I feel like if everyone here also says aptamil then maybe that is just the best formula ??

Tatiebee Mon 30-Oct-17 21:45:42

They're all the same, if you're going to use formula just buy the brand that's most readily available in your local stores.

BexleyRae Mon 30-Oct-17 21:47:06

We used aptamil as a friend recommended it, had no problems with it so never tried anything else

formulaconfusion Mon 30-Oct-17 21:49:10

That’s what I thought but then asking friends and googling has just made me wonder .....
Seems to be aptamil is most popular
Sma apparently causes constipation
Cow and gate is the ‘same’ as aptamil but then some say it’s not ...so confusing and hipp apparently doesn't have as many nutrients as aptamil but is organic and supposedly ‘gentler’
I’m just confused ! It will only be for 1-2 feeds a day but I was worried about picking the wrong one ....

LemonScentedStickyBat Mon 30-Oct-17 21:49:34

Anything that is ‘first milk’ and readily available. If you want to research the various claims you mention, then the lengthy documents on the First Steps Nutrition web page are the way to go!

formulaconfusion Mon 30-Oct-17 21:51:03

I’ve googled so much I think it has just confused me further ! I just don’t want to pick the ‘wrong’ one but it seems that there are pros and cons for all. I have a look at that website mentioned

ICantDecideOnAUsername Mon 30-Oct-17 21:54:00

Apitmal and cow and gate are made by the same company to the same recipe just marketed differently and different prices.

NamesNamesAndMoreNames Mon 30-Oct-17 21:54:19

They are all so similar it's not worth worrying about. I would buy one readily available in your local shop (don't want to have to traipse miles out of your way to buy more!). If your DC doesn't get along with it, you can try another, no problem.

We tried quite a few until we found the best for DS. In the end it was one of the comfort milks, but I'm not sure the brand really mattered, just the fact that it was 'comfort'.

AnonEvent Mon 30-Oct-17 21:55:59

We us d Cow and Gate, DD was always happy with it. Ditto Aptimel (probably because they’re basically the same), she was less fond of Hipp.

formulaconfusion Mon 30-Oct-17 21:56:08

It’s so difficult to choose. I think I’ll just have to pick a name if one out of a hat and go from there if it doesnt suit then I’ll change !

pastabest Mon 30-Oct-17 21:59:22

Aldi own brand Mamia milk.

I switched from Aptamil to Mamia when finances got a bit tight (at £6.99 a tin its substantially cheaper than the other brands)

DD didnt notice any difference. I can only assume they are all pretty much the same.

I've always wondered why other supermarkets haven't jumped on the own brand formula bandwagon actually.

I still use the Aptamil pre-mix bottles for keeping handy in the nappy bag as the Mamia range doesn't have pre-mix.

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough Mon 30-Oct-17 21:59:49

Check what your local shop stocks and go from there

formulaconfusion Mon 30-Oct-17 22:07:19

It’s funny that isn’t it that supermarkets don’t do their own versions younwoukd think they would.
I’ll have a google of the Aldi one thanks

formulaconfusion Mon 30-Oct-17 22:08:19

Local supermarket has
Aptamil
Cow and gate
Sma
Hipp

All the aptamil seems to be in security boxes as well🤔

GuntyMcGee Mon 30-Oct-17 22:15:45

http://www.firststepsnutrition.org/newpages/InfantMilks/infantt_milks.html

This website has information about the available formula.

GreenGoblin0 Tue 31-Oct-17 23:05:01

Aptamil is marketed at middle class parents and therefore is more expensive but this doesn't make it better. No formula milk is superior or "closest to breast milk" this is just a mameting ploy. the industry is tightly regulated so all formulas contain the same core ingredients. some babies get on better with certain formulas.

www.which.co.uk/reviews/formula-milk/article/choosing-the-right-formula-milk/are-some-formula-milk-brands-better-than-others

SonicBoomBoom Tue 31-Oct-17 23:09:07

Aptamil is probably the easiest to find. Many little shops will have a small bottle of the pre-made Aptamil too, which is great for emergencies (as you won't always be next to your usual supermarket).

I'd go with Aptamil, and see how your DC gets on with it.

JustPutSomeGlitterOnIt Tue 31-Oct-17 23:09:28

We use Hipp for combi feeding, have for all three. It's the only one that hasn't caused them constipation.

formulaconfusion Tue 31-Oct-17 23:42:57

Did you combi feed from birth? I’m reading conflicting info about when to start.4w, 6w or just do it from day 1??

JustPutSomeGlitterOnIt Wed 01-Nov-17 00:01:54

No. First daughter from 7 months - wasn't making enough milk after returning to work.
Twins from 1 month - again, rubbish boobs.

I'd say it has fucked with one of their ability to latch though, so if you can delay it I would.

Why are you planning on combi feeding?

confused123456 Wed 01-Nov-17 00:23:12

My mum used SMA with all 3 of us. So I used the same with my DC (stick to what you know).
But I've known people to use all different brands. I'm not sure one is better than another.

Lules Wed 01-Nov-17 00:31:01

Aptamil and cow and gate are identical and cow and gate is cheaper. They're all pretty similar anyway.

PerfectlyDone Wed 01-Nov-17 00:44:15

They are all the same.
The 'differences' are marketing hype - don't fall for it.

You are planning to mix-feed, that's great.
I found that mix-feeding affected my supply and I ended up stopping BFing sooner that I wanted to with DS1. Just be aware of that possibility.

sycamore54321 Wed 01-Nov-17 01:02:40

Formulas are so tightly regulated that the reality is there is very little difference between them and most standard formulas will provide excellent safe nutrition for most babies who drink it. So chances are your first choice will suit your baby just fine and you won't ever need to switch.

On that basis, I would start with the brand that is least expensive and/or most readily available in your nearest shops, depending on whether price or convenience is more important. Then if for some reason that does not suit, try the next cheapest, etc. Also think about if you intend regularly to use ready-made formula as well and if so, how easily or cheaply those bottles can be found.

Please don't unduly stress about this, there really are no "wrong" choices. So just take a glance at what is easily available and how much it costs and make your choice on that.

In my experience also, switching formulas is made out to be a much bigger deal than I found it. I was once stuck with a tin of formula that spilled while visiting relatives and the only shop open on a Sunday evening carried a different brand. I was nervous but the baby didn't seem to notice any difference. For some babies there may well be a clear preference or one that suits more than another but the only way to know is to start with brand 1 and only switch if a problem arises.

haveagobletofblood Wed 01-Nov-17 10:22:43

They are similar but babies react to different brand in different ways. I started with Cow and Gate which gave my DS wind. Then switched to SMA comfort which he didn't seem to like and took gradually less and less of. He's been perfect on Aptamil and drinks loads. I wish i had started with Aptamil.

We will be moving onto stage 2 milk soon and I'm considering trying C&G again now that he's past the colicky stage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now