Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much will my baby need?

(12 Posts)
ItsWasntMe Sun 29-Oct-17 22:04:38

I have a very rare night out planned when my baby will be 9 weeks old.

My mum will be looking after her for the night and I am now starting to pump some milk in preparation.

My problem is as she is EBF I have no idea how much milk she has at each feed!

At the moment (5 weeks) she is feeding around every 3 hours so I'm going to need quite a few pouches but how many oz should I pump into each?

Cupcakegirl13 Sun 29-Oct-17 22:08:21

I have an 8 week old who I mix feed , she feeds every 3 hours , normally from both breasts , or if it's a bottle 4-5oz bottle

ItsWasntMe Sun 29-Oct-17 22:15:22

Great, thanks for that x

EspressoPatronum Sun 29-Oct-17 22:17:15

I seem to remember the advice I was given being to leave as many oz as the number of hours I was planning to be away.

So gone for 5 hours leave 5 oz. But I think I left more, just to be safe! So that's not really helpful... Sorry 🙈

Snap8TheCat Sun 29-Oct-17 22:19:00

Will she take a bottle?

pemberleypearl Sun 29-Oct-17 22:20:06

My DD is formula fed. I work out that she should be having between 150 and 200mls per kilo of her body weight over a 24hr period. Maybe plan for 3 bottles in case - so maybe half my equation?

Snap8TheCat Sun 29-Oct-17 22:21:41

Ff babies should have around 2.5 times their weight in lbs in oz of milk per 24 hours.

So a 12lb baby would have approx 30oz of formula.

Snap8TheCat Sun 29-Oct-17 22:22:35

X post. I’m old school with my imperial!

ItsWasntMe Sun 29-Oct-17 22:26:13

Espresso so would that be 5oz per feed or 5oz for the entire 5 hours? It just doesn't seem a lot

Thanks pemberley and snap for the equations, that will help massively

I'm going to start introducing the bottle soon so that she can get used to it. I don't want to stop bf or for my supply to decrease though. Have you any advice to keep this up?

silkpyjamasallday Sun 29-Oct-17 23:30:34

I am no help on the ounces as I struggled with pumping and never left dd for more than 2 hours , I only really pumped so DP could have a go at feeding her, but I found dd wouldn't take a bottle from me anyway but would happily finish one if DP or DM gave it to her.

teaandbiscuitsforme Mon 30-Oct-17 08:02:07

BF babies don’t consume as many ounces as FF babies because the milk changes as they grow.

You need 1oz for every hour that she will be left plus I’d leave a few extra just in case. She’ll probably want to feed when you get home, partly because she might be hungry but partly because she’ll want to reconnect.

LRL2017 Mon 30-Oct-17 09:40:53

My little girl is now 7 weeks old. I took some
Expressed bottles to a wedding and she took around 5.5 oz, this is generally what she takes most times I have expressed. I generally if I can manage do about 7 oz just to be on the safe side!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now