Talk

Advanced search

Bloody hell - when will my boy stop with the boob!

(9 Posts)
sourpatchkid Thu 26-Oct-17 11:59:34

He’s 11 months old, showing no real interest in food (he will have a pouch of porridge in the morning and that’s really it) and is still feeding 4-5x in the night (we co-sleep)

I go back to work soon, and also I want to stop wearing breastfeeding clothes!

Is the only way to drop feeds just to let him cry for a breastfeed and just not let him have if? I really don’t want to do that - is my only choice?

I’m exhausted now sad

summerson Thu 26-Oct-17 13:35:11

I hear ya! No advice, just place marking!

Andromache77 Thu 26-Oct-17 13:43:50

Not to discourage you but my DD kept wanting the breast until nearly 3 (years old). That being said, she took to food with great enthusiasm, so it was mostly a comfort thing. I guess that you'll have to offer alternatives and if possible have someone else hold him/put him to bed. We reduced feeds like this, though the crying was something unbelievable and lasted for months (yes, she's a tiny bit stubborn).

RatRolyPoly Thu 26-Oct-17 13:48:02

Sounds like cracking weaning could be the key to reducing feeding in your case. Do you offer three meals and two snacks a day? What's your breastfeeding routine like during the daytime and how does that fit around offering food?

TheABC Thu 26-Oct-17 13:53:38

I have an 18 month old who eats every thing in sight and is still obsessed with the boob. She goes to the childminders for three days a week and copes without it happily, though.

The first thing is to ramp up the food. Some kids are grazers - for my older DS, I put out a muffin tray with a selection of fruit, crackers and yogurt pot. As the tray is metal, it can stand up to my DD pulling it off the table. Try involving his senses in food - baby led weaning is good for this and the mess is temporary. DD started with her hands and now happily uses a spoon.

Next, see if he will accept a sippy cup when you are not around. This is mainly to reassure you, when you go back to work.

Finally, if it's the night feeds that are bothering you, Google Dr Jay Gordon to gently put boundaries in place and get a decent block of sleep.

DS (4) has just come into the room now to get some help with a banana. He was breastfed until 2 and was bloody stubborn about giving up! I think I was more traumatised than he was about it.

CappuccinoCake Thu 26-Oct-17 13:59:27

We night weaned just after a year. Husband would do the cuddles and comfort so even if she was crying I knew she was comforted and she didn't smell milk. Was very much worth it for sleep purposes.

It the day we did baby led weaning and offered lots of bits and pieces to see what would interest her.

Chuffingchuff Thu 26-Oct-17 21:10:21

No advice here I’m afraid but watching. With interest. I have a 13 month old DD who still breastfeeds at night and I would really like to stop. She rarely actually takes a feed, she is just using me for comfort and it’s making me quite sore. I fear I’m going to just have to go cold turkey but I was hoping to slowly cut her down and down until we stopped but I think she’s just too stubborn.

Alexkate2468 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:14:07

Watching and hoping for some advice here too. Also have an 11 month old boob monster and am sure back to work next week.

sourpatchkid Thu 26-Oct-17 21:15:45

Thank you everyone- some brilliant advice!

I’m lucky he doesn’t feed or suckle for comfort, he’s very practical - on, feed, off.

But the advice has been really helpful, I’m only offering 3 meals and no snacks so I can add that in. I suspect he may be a grazer too so I’ll try to find a way to make that work (we are often out) I also have no routine! blush if anyone can recommend a good routine for offering food around BF that works be really helpful.

I offered dinner at 6 and he didn’t want it but went back to it at 8pm (bed is 8.30) and decide he wanted to so I got a fresh portion out and he ate it and some fruit for desert! Seems too close to bedtime though?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now