Talk

Advanced search

Nipple shield - help!

(3 Posts)
ginfizzliz Sat 21-Oct-17 22:13:50

Hi ladies - my baby is 5.5 weeks old and breastfeeding is still a massive source of stress for me. I need some reassurance that it will improve!

I'll try to avoid writing an essay of my various woes but basically I've been using a nipple shield on my right boob for the last 3.5 weeks, which although is a massive improvement on the constant pumping and bottle feeding of the first two weeks, I'd still really like to ditch. I know that it's still breastfeeding but I really feel the barrier between us and it upsets me hugely that she doesn't want to feed directly from me. Even on the left I have to keep latching her on and after about 5-10 minutes she cries and fusses and I suspect she wants the shield. It may not help that my let down seems to be on the fast side. I'm hoping that my supply balances out over the next week or two.

It's really upsetting me to have my baby howl with sadness when offered a breast without a nipple shield, and although I know I should be grateful that she likes the shield and that she's a really good eater I want it to be just me and her with no middle man!

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and how did it work out? It's totally ruining (or rather I'm letting it ruin) feeding for me and I'd been looking forward to it the whole of my pregnancy and hoping it wouldn't be too challenging.

If I know that she's get rid of the shields one day I can stick it out but right now it just makes me feel like a bit of a failure :-(

Bluebelltulip Mon 23-Oct-17 13:06:18

The advice I was given was to start the feed using the shield then take the baby off and reattach without the shield then gradually take it off sooner then not put it on at all. Feeding with a shield is still feeding so don't put too much pressure on yourself to stop using it.

Babbington Thu 21-Dec-17 12:56:55

I was given the same advice - I’d been trying to wean her off them by starting without the shield to give her a chance then introducing it so she could feed which made sense to me at the time, but a MW advised starting with the shield so she could get the nipple pulled out and flow going, then take it off when she came up for air.

I was skeptical and put off trying for a couple of days but I honestly did this once and she had it cracked! Tried without shield next time and never used them again!

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now