Talk

Advanced search

Stopping feeding toddler

(6 Posts)
readytostop Thu 19-Oct-17 09:17:53

My dd is now over two and I'm ready to stop breastfeeding. It was, as most are, a rocky journey which started horrifically but then became quite enjoyable actually (if you'd have told me I'd ever write that I would have died of shock). The problem is that she is very reliant on it for sleep and comfort and I'm really not sure how to stop it. I've told her no and She's becone inconsolable. I work full time and therefore have mostly just given in because we all need our sleep!

Any advice or success stories please send my way!

readytostop Thu 19-Oct-17 18:44:18

Bump

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 19-Oct-17 20:30:01

Have you got somebody there to put her to sleep?

Scotinoz Thu 19-Oct-17 21:00:43

Does she just rely on the feed at bedtime, or is she waking during the night too?

What I did with mine, although they were younger, was;

Waking for night feeds. I wouldn't feed between midnight and 5. Literally, feed at 23.55 and 05.05 but not for that 5 hour window. It was hard work for a few nights, but they got the message, then I could stretch it out.

Bedtime. I started giving a cup of cows milk, then offering breast. And gradually reducing time on the breast. They eventually lost interest.

Mine were 12mths and 20mths when there were weaned, so a bit easier I think.

Best of luck, it's a weird time. I remember feeling really sad since my youngest is the last baby and it was a huge milestone. But excited about having my breasts back!! I miss the power of the boob though...just the other week I had an ill 2.5 year old and nothing I could do would make her feel better. I actually cried knowing that a year ago I could have feed her and made her happy!

A good milestone though, 2 year olds are a hoot!

readytostop Thu 19-Oct-17 21:16:24

Yes someone else putting her to sleep works but only if I'm not in the house. Same for waking through the night, if I'm not there she's fine!

That's some really great advice. flowers thanks! Think I'll need to be strong and realise there's no quick fix here and I will have a tough few nights.

I just give in to the tears too easily!

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 19-Oct-17 21:27:18

I kind of did the same as Scot:
- BF to sleep and BF through night (your current situation?). Coslept
- BF to sleep and BF if she woke before 10/after 5 otherwise DH would cosleep to settle her. She didn’t like it at first but very quickly got used to it
- BF to sleep but DH went in for any wake up. She started sleeping through!
- BF before bath, DH put to bed
- Bath and DH put to bed

It definitely takes time if you’re doing it slowly and for me, that other person is crucial.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now