Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Weaning - interrupted sleeping pattern

(9 Posts)
LittleMansMum2017 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:00:09

Hello everyone

My DS is 6 months 3 weeks old and I have started weaning him. I'm lucky that my Mum is an retired HV and so she has given me quite a lot of advice with regards to feeding my baby and weaning which is lovely.

However one thing that has got us stumped is the immediate change to our DS' sleeping pattern. Since weaning he has started waking without fail at about 5:30am. He can also wake around 3am crying. Now I'm not complaining but before this he was sleeping until about 7am straight through 12 hours and had been doing so since he was 4 weeks olds, no exception!

We will feed him milk when he wakes at 5:30am just as we did at 7am but suffice to say I'm wondering if this is all connected to weaning. I can say with confidence that we are feeding him appropriate amounts and he's not hungry when he goes to bed but I just wondered if anyone else has seen a change in sleeping pattern since weaning their LO?

Thanks x

Changerofname987654321 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:05:10

There is a big sleep regression at 6 months.

Learning new skills can interrupt sleep.

Only waking twice a night at 6 months is good even if it does not feel like it.

Weaning can mean babies have less calories during the day especially if they are having lots of veg so they can wake for more milk at night.

LittleMansMum2017 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:12:11

Thanks for your reply. Yes he is on puréed fruit and veg at the moment with baby porridge in the morning with his milk so perhaps that's one of the contributing factors in that case

Changerofname987654321 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:19:31

How many meals a day is he having? I did BLW but I thought for the first couple of months of puree they are only suppose to have one meal. I may be wrong about this.

I am sure it is 9 months to start moving towards 3 meals a day.

LittleMansMum2017 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:22:09

Porridge in the morning and some vegetables or fruit in the evening but these aren't large portions. More to appreciate variety of tastes and textures.

FuzzyOwl Wed 18-Oct-17 20:23:07

Milk is very nutritious and calorie dense for babies. Vegetables and fruit are very low in calories. As a result a baby will sense its stomach is full but then realises it isn't full with substantial foods to keep going in the same way milk is because it will become hungry again much sooner.

LittleMansMum2017 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:32:35

FuzzyOwl, yes I remade this but I haven't cut down on the milk he is getting as he's quite early on in his weaning and so I've been offering his cooked carrot sticks or banana etc to familiarise himself which he more plays with than eats. DS has really be having a taste of porridge veg or fruit rather than a replacement of milk. I haven't changed the quantity or timing of milk for his last feed of the evening. This is why I'm a bit perplexed. I'm beginning to wonder if his changes in sleeping pattern are more down to developmental changes rather than weaning.

LittleMansMum2017 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:33:01

*realise

FuzzyOwl Wed 18-Oct-17 21:30:12

Milk is very nutritious and calorie dense for babies. Vegetables and fruit are very low in calories. As a result a baby will sense its stomach is full but then realises it isn't full with substantial foods to keep going in the same way milk is because it will become hungry again much sooner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now