Talk

Advanced search

How to get GP to listen and subscribe meds for reflux

(9 Posts)
KimchiLaLa Wed 18-Oct-17 18:04:10

My 3 week newborn has reflux. I know it - she has started to spit up after feeds, arch her back in pain during them (but cry out for food), squeal at night from the pain, not enjoy being put down after a feed (despite being asleep). I don't want to go to the GP and have them prescribe infant gaviscon, as I know that causes constipation and she is FF mainly so does less poo anyway. How can I convince them she needs ranitidine? She is being weighed tomorrow, and I am so nervous she has lost weight.

AvocadoLovingMamaOfOne Wed 18-Oct-17 18:07:42

I thought my LB had reflux, had all the symptoms you described. We were given gaviscon and he became constipated and was still arching back etc. Turned out to be cows milk allergy!
If you 100% think reflux then just ask doctor for ranitidine and say you won’t accept gaviscon as it’s known to constipate babies

Wolfiefan Wed 18-Oct-17 18:08:03

Have you been to the GP yet? What has MW suggested?

KimchiLaLa Wed 18-Oct-17 18:09:42

Reason I think reflux is because she is also tongue tie so I know it's more likely with that too. She was fine on aptamil up until the last few days - but would that rule out CMA?

I will have to be strong when I go there. There's only one atnmy surgery who actually listens and she is always booked up - probably for that reason!

KimchiLaLa Wed 18-Oct-17 18:12:08

MW didn't really help a lot but did say reflux was possible but said as she was gaining weight (need to check again tomorrow) they may not want to do anything about it. She is in pain at night as I know her hunger pangs. Mw also said as she didn't have symptoms in the day, it may not be reflux.

There is one GP I know I'll be given at the surgery who just will not listen to me at all (I haven't been yet but it's my experience) so I want to be prepared if she's the only one I can see.

HeyMicky Wed 18-Oct-17 18:19:15

Write a diary (backdate it if necessary)

Film DD - is goes the GP video of milk coming back

I also knew it was reflux and not a milk allergy so I faked a week of dairy-free food diary to head that suggestion off at the pass

HeyMicky Wed 18-Oct-17 18:19:28

*I showed

LittleMansMum2017 Wed 18-Oct-17 19:48:18

Hi, sorry to hear you are having trouble.

My 6 month DS had terrible reflux for a number of months. I went to my GP to ask for advice and I was quite insistent I didn't want to try gaviscon as I've heard from numerous mum's that their babies have had quite shocking reactions.

Anyway, the GP prescribed carobel by cow & gate. It is a simple milk thickener with your can control as it comes in a powder format and you can add to the bottle - it doesn't matter if it is expressed or formula or indeed what formula the baby is on.

Perhaps give this a try? The box lasted me about a week for larger bottles.

All the best

MrsMotherHen Wed 18-Oct-17 19:51:59

my little girl is on gaviscon and it doesnt constipate her at all yes a bit firmer but still painfree and soft enough.

You can only have it in 6 of the bottles a day. So if baby has more that will help "move things along"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now