Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Domoeridone, can I buy it.

(7 Posts)
BABYLOVE02 Mon 16-Oct-17 07:21:10

I has it with first dc but now they say it's used for sickness only.
Please advise, thanks

YouCantCallMeBetty Mon 16-Oct-17 07:28:33

Domperidone? For increasing milk supply? They still recommend it in the nicu where I work but think you need a prescription. Can you see a different gp or is it a practice to not prescribe it at your surgery?

spookshowbaby Mon 16-Oct-17 07:35:52

I had to go to the doctors to get a prescription for it. She had no idea it was used for increasing milk supply. However that didn't work for me either !

bigmamapeach Mon 16-Oct-17 12:08:03

Are you in the UK? domperidone used to be "over the counter" but there has been concern around adverse effects (it affects the heart), so now it is available in the UK on prescription only.

Are you in need of a medication to help with nausea/vomiting? Best to see your GP. Or are you wanting some help with the establishment of breastfeeding? there is no medication in the UK that is "approved" for the use in promoting milk supply, although domperidone is often mentioned in breastfeeding help literature for this purpose. By "approved" it means that the regulator (MHRA) has decided the medication is overall safe and effective for this purpose.

Doctors can prescribe medications which don't have "approval" for particular conditions, this is called "off label" but they (and you) are taking greater risk. They want to take more care that this is going to be a specifically safe approach for you and the risks do not outweigh the benefits. You would need to talk to your GP about your concerns about breastfeeding and what they can suggest to help with this, if this is the case. However, a lot of GPs will not prescribe off label, particularly drugs that have "black box" warnings (which domperidone has).

Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2016 Oct;25(10):1210-1214. doi: 10.1002/pds.4035. Epub 2016 Jun 14.
The association between domperidone and ventricular arrhythmia in the postpartum period.
Smolina, Mintzes, Hanley, Oberlander, Morgan.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=27296864

bigmamapeach Mon 16-Oct-17 12:08:20

PS I am not a doctor or pharmacist.

tiktok Mon 16-Oct-17 12:16:21

There are far easier, more reliable and safer ways of increasing milk supply - if necessary - to try before using medication. Can you say a bit more about why you are thinking of using this?

BABYLOVE02 Mon 16-Oct-17 21:06:09

Hi thank you for your replys. Ticktok some more of an explanation. Thank you.

I have always had a low supply and done every thing I could to increase it. I fed totally on demand, pumped after feeds, day and night at times, took fenugreek.

Managed to just about breastfeed. Supply seemed to hold out while I was feeding at least 12 times a day now baby is older and we are down to about 3 day and 2 night feeds my supply has really dropped.

I wanted to allow self weaning not having to stop because of my rubbish supply. Little one wants to feed but is frustrated there doesn't seem much milk there.
This far in I still pump twice a day just to make sure breast is empty.
Things also get worse around my period.
I'm feeling so sad about this, after all the hard work gone into breastfeeding this is not how I planned this beautiful journey ending.

Any advice, thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now