Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

4month old ebf

(7 Posts)
lorza03 Sun 15-Oct-17 18:00:43

My little boy is nearly four months old he always seems to be hungry for milk which I know to a degree for bf babies is normal just wondering what are people's thoughts on early weaning? I had to wean my daughter early as she had terrible problems with the milk but she wasn't bf. Any advise would be helpful thank you

Changerofname987654321 Sun 15-Oct-17 18:04:06

I switched to formula at 7 weeks for a variety of reasons so I can’t comment on breast feeding but there is a lot of research which suggests early weaning improves the likely hood of gut problems later in life. The general advice if you wean early is to only give veg which is lower calories than milk so baby will wake more in the night for food.

wetsnow Sun 15-Oct-17 18:07:31

There is a massive growth spurt at 4 months plus they become active and need more milk. Definitely not food yet as the milk has the good stuff he needs.

Spam88 Wed 18-Oct-17 14:23:28

Early weaning isn’t recommended because it can cause gut problems later in life. Also, breast milk has more calories than the tiny amounts of food he’d consume so it wouldn’t help with his hunger. I was reading something the other day about things that can be mistaken for signs of being ready to start on solids, and seeming hungry was one of them. I’ll see if I can find it again.

Spam88 Wed 18-Oct-17 14:27:22

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/solid-foods-weaning.aspx

yikesanotherbooboo Wed 18-Oct-17 16:15:10

Just keep going listening to him. If he is feeding more often he is increasing your supply to the level required for him now he is bigger and more active.

lorza03 Wed 18-Oct-17 17:42:16

Thank you for the advise every one only 2 more months until I can start weening 😀

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now