Talk

Advanced search

Breast Feeding Survival

(9 Posts)
Csd17 Sun 15-Oct-17 17:10:33

Hey! I’m 7 weeks into breastfeeding my little boy and can finally see the light. The first weeks of his life were without a doubt the hardest of mine... but I am so glad to have persevered and established a good milk supply for my little love.

I often find myself thinking about those first days and weeks and how I managed to cope. Some days even now it’s still hard, with frequent night wakings.

How do you/did you cope with breast feeding your child(ren)? Did you make yourself a cosy feeding station? What was it like? Did you watch Netflix at night time or did you sit in the dark? What were your go to breast feeding snacks? Go to meals? Did bfding help you shed baby weight? Are you able to exercise and breast feed? What kind of exercise do you do?

I have been addicted to Minstrels these past few days. Like.. addicted. My son is asleep on my chest and I probably should get up and do something but he will only be this tiny and snuggly for such a short while.

I do hope to hear back from some of you.. in as much detail as you can spare.

Rainycity Sun 15-Oct-17 19:02:52

Hi, congrats on the birth of your little one and well done on getting well established with BFing! Sounds like you’re doing well.

I’m sure there are many more experienced mums who can offer much more useful advice than me but just thought I’d share my experience as a new BFing mum myself.

My DS is 8.5 months and still has regular milk feeds but it’s not so intensive now that he is getting into solids and mealtimes are getting established.

I spent the first few months mostly home -based (but getting out for regular walks every day). I was feeding on demand (average every 2 hours), and like you enjoying the cuddles and Netflix marathons. I set up a feeding station in the living room with a footstool and a pile of muslins on hand. I couldn’t have lived without my iPhone tbh, I feel slightly guilty - but not guilty enough (!) to stop me reading my phone whilst BFing. It’d be terribly boring otherwise.

During this time I sometimes felt like I should have been doing more stuff (like baby classes etc) but kept reminding myself that I didn’t have to do anything at all other than look after myself and my baby - the classes etc could wait!

I wish I could say I eat a healthy diet of fresh and wholesome foods to support BFing but that would be a lie - I mostly sugar and carbs! But I’ve continued with the pregnancy vitamins to make sure I get Vit E and iron etc. Fortunately for me the pregnancy weight has dropped off gradually from BFing, and because I was getting out and about each day with the buggy. But I’ve cut back on the sugar now after a bit of a telling off at my recent dental check up (gum disease!!) Now that I’m not quite as knackered I’m also trying to reduce carb intake slightly.

Pre-baby I was a regular runner but didn’t feel ready to start again (my boobs and pelvic floor didn’t feel ready!) until recently; walking daily has been good enough for me.

Sorry I don’t have much in the way of useful pointers, I just wanted to encourage you to keep going (even when at times it might all feel a bit too much). You may not feel like this but in case you do (as I did at times) - don’t feel pressured into ‘bouncing back’ quickly and going here, there and everywhere asap because you feel you should be (I admit I felt like this sometimes). Yours and baby’s wellbeing is key. But at the same time there is nothing stopping you if you do want to get out and about if you want to either! Best wishes!

CommonFishDiseases Sun 15-Oct-17 20:08:36

Well done OP - you have worked hard to establish a good supply and a solid foundation for the breastfeeding relationship star There will be ups and downs, growth spurts and fussy periods, beautiful times and tough times, but just take it one day at a time. Really happy for you flowers

Csd17 Mon 16-Oct-17 01:41:13

Rainy city thank you for your wonderful response. So detailed and lovely. I’m with you on not getting out much except for walks. The classes can come in time.

Csd17 Mon 16-Oct-17 01:41:48

CFD thank you for being so supportive.

Csd17 Mon 16-Oct-17 01:45:36

Tonight feels harder than yesterday. It’s funny how breastfeeding can be different every day.My son settled at half 11 and was up again just after 1. My worst night waking is before 2pm. I feel like I’ve only just hit the pillow. I like the 5am slot.. that time feels kind of magical to me.

I hope at some point soon he will sleep a little longer through the night.

Tonight might be a night for going downstairs to the lounge and hauling up on the sofa. Some nights I stay in the nursery and don’t watch my Greys Anatomy reruns but I feel hungryyy and this rocking chair isn’t so comfy.

calamityjam Mon 16-Oct-17 02:12:03

Gosh you're a trooper! I couldn't even consider going downstairs at night I need my sleep far too much. I would put mine on the boob in my bed and there they would stay. I rarely woke and they fed when they needed to.

Isadora2007 Mon 16-Oct-17 02:23:56

I fed all four of mine for expended periods and honestly I do treasure those memories and the closeness all these years on. It’s a special time and - like most intensive and slightly traumatic things- creates a bond that only other nursing mums will get.
Survival? With DC#4 I found a love for early nights and Emmerdale- yes, really! I went to bed at 7pm with baby and fed while I watched emmerdale then I went to sleep around 7.30/8pm so that I had a few hours sleep before the horrible 1/2am feeds. If I wasn’t asleep til 10/11 they were a killer. But when I could manage a good 4 hours stretch of sleep life always felt better. Wee flapjack bars and milk to drink were favourites. Often a bottle of water and some nuts were less messy!
I mostly fed in bed and coslept. But if baby was noisy I’d get up to avoid disturbing others.
Phones are an absolute godsend. First two babies I didn’t have a mobile (they weren’t really around then!) and I made do with Tv and books.

Rainycity Mon 16-Oct-17 09:16:47

You’re welcome, CSD17! Sorry I re-read my post and realise some of it’s a little garbled but I think you got the gist!

Like a previous poster has said, each day is different but just try your best to roll with it. But it sounds like you are positive, and geared up for accepting of the rough that goes with the smooth.

We are in the middle of a sleep regression/developmental leap/growth spurt which is tough tbh but I always tell myself it’s just a short amount of time in the grand scheme of things. I catch up on sleep in the day where possible - which is what I plan to do now once my baby has finished this feed! All the best 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now