Talk

Advanced search

Storing breastmilk

(8 Posts)
TheLegendOfBeans Wed 11-Oct-17 14:24:20

Hello: can anyone recommend or guide me to how to store breastmilk safely and sterile-ly?

DC2 is due in the next couple of days and last time my boobs went mental and produced TONS of milk. I never saved it and that was a big regret of mine, especially when my supply crashed six weeks later.

Please can someone advise on what to do with "extra" breastmilk? I know you can get bags and my idea is that DH could do a few feeds by defrosting it and feeding it to DC2 allowing me a wee sleep.

Thanks!

InDubiousBattle Wed 11-Oct-17 14:33:37

In the very early days I would leave the breast milk where it is. It works on a supply and demand system so if you just feed your baby your supply will regulate to that, if you fill up your freezer your boobs will regulate to all of the extra too! My friend expressed small amounts into little syringes as she had gestational diabetes and thought her baby might need topping up. When your supply settles you can buy little bags to store milk in, I used Lansinoh ones and they were fine. Make sure you write the date expressed on them and don't forget they're there like I did when I found about 3 bags full under the peas about a year after I stopped bf blush.

TheLegendOfBeans Wed 11-Oct-17 14:37:07

Breastmilk 'n' peas anyone? grin

Absolutely agree re letting the supply balance; and it did last time, for about 4 weeks then vanished. I just feel that this time I don't want a single drop to go to "waste".

Where did you get the Lanisoh bags?

InDubiousBattle Wed 11-Oct-17 14:42:46

Boots. If I remember rightly they were more expensive than I thought they would be, but then isn't everything with regard to babies! I remember being gutted when I found them because I hated expressing!

TheLegendOfBeans Wed 11-Oct-17 16:39:32

This is handy to know.

In the event DC2 has a whopper of a TT like DD I'll have no choice but to wait up to 21 days to get it snipped. A screw up on her TT last time meant that she cold then latch so I was 100% expressing and feeding that way hence the desire to bag it up

BabyandtheTramp Wed 11-Oct-17 17:07:03

If you manage to pick up bounty packs or other freebies the lansinoh are often in there. I have tommee tippee ones too in their Express & Go kit but I'd probably just get the bags if I did it again!

TheLegendOfBeans Wed 11-Oct-17 19:22:55

Being a total freeloader and graspervwhen the Bounty person comes round I'll take all they have before issuing my husband's email address so he can handle all the spam.

I didn't realise bmilk bags were in those packs!

SquedgieBeckenheim Wed 11-Oct-17 19:31:58

Another vote for Lansinoh bags, they're cheaper on amazon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now