Talk

Advanced search

Surely this isn't normal

(9 Posts)
Merida83 Thu 05-Oct-17 21:16:05

My 20day old little girl seems to want to eat all the time. She started out feeding 3 - 4 hourly then got into set pattern of demanding fed at 3 hours, then it shortened to 2.5 hours, then 2 hours now it's as little as 90mins at times but never longer than 2.5 hours.

She was born 4 weeks premature so initially I thought her appetite must be a good thing as she's trying to catch up but now it feels like I must be doing something wrong.

Seeing midwife soon so will ask her but in the mean time hoping someone here can help.

Feel it important to add she is formula fed so I know how much she's getting (as in it's not a supply problem).

Thanks

QuietNinjaTardis Thu 05-Oct-17 21:18:21

It could be a growth spurt. Think there's one about 3 weeks. She might just need more food for a bit. Just feed her when she's hungry. She's still really little and they get the munchies a lot!

Merida83 Thu 05-Oct-17 21:25:54

My worry is, I guess, that when she has the big feeds she tends to vomit a bit of it back up later on once lying down. Made me paranoid to point of after big feed keeping her upright on my chest for a while to help prevent it.

CoxsOrangePippin Thu 05-Oct-17 21:32:06

My DS was feeding about that often at that age, though it was warmer weather.

bf1000 Thu 05-Oct-17 21:34:16

Yes it is normal for them t9 feed frequently. If baby is having lots of wet nappies, with alert and sleepy stages then it all sounds normal. It 8s part of establishing supply while also meet8ng any emotional needs. Sometimes it is that they just need the closeness. Rest when baby rests x

bf1000 Thu 05-Oct-17 21:34:49

Also make sure you are eating and drinking often

shockshockhorror Thu 05-Oct-17 22:13:38

Totally normal. Both mine fed constantly. He could have a little reflux if he’s vomiting a lot, I used to put a small folded towel under the Moses basket mattress to angle it upwards slightly so that the baby wasn’t lying flat, that helped. Congratulations and good luck!

arbrighton Sat 07-Oct-17 21:00:52

my 3month ds feeds every 2 hours give or take and pretty much always has done, it's normal

arbrighton Sat 07-Oct-17 21:02:36

And possetting/ vomiting slightly is normal as the ring of muscle at top of stomach is not very strong. It is 'reflux' but not necessarily a problem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now