Talk

Advanced search

Ranitidine users-experiences and advice

(11 Posts)
Summertime10 Wed 04-Oct-17 09:07:49

Hi everyone, ds is nearly 4 weeks old and was diagnosed with silent reflux last night. He's had a pretty rocky start to life with a posterior tongue tie found on day 6, snipped privately on day 9 and constant breastfeeding, which I thought was him catching up but was probably also related to the reflux. shock
We've been prescribed ranitidine, as I was reluctant to accept the infant gaviscon that was initially offered, and was wondering what your experiences of it have been and how it was administered. Ds is bf but I'd planned on putting the dose into a bottle teat with a tiny amount of ebm and giving it that way. Would that be OK? Nervous at the thought of trying to get him to accept a syringe three times a day.
Thanks

Holz657 Wed 04-Oct-17 09:13:46

My 10 week old is on ranitidine 3 time a day and infant gaviscon. We originally tried just ranitidine but I can honestly say we have a different baby now he's on both. Sadly breastfeeding didn't work out with my little one so I can't help there but we use the syringe you get with the bottle. He's taken it very well. Hopefully it helps, xx

2014newme Wed 04-Oct-17 09:14:26

We did both plus colief

Holz657 Wed 04-Oct-17 09:15:16

Also the syringe is so thin I think that really helps. You could maybe try a spoon but I think that would be more awkward, if you decide to try the syringe just pop it in the corner of their mouth at the back so they can't spit it out. And remember it's very weight sensitive, we've bad to up the dose twice since he's been on it x

AMagdalena Wed 04-Oct-17 09:51:21

DD has been on ranitidine for a week now. I administer it using an oral syringe. DD cried when taking it at first; now she just pulls a face and happily gets on with eating.
It took around 4 days for the medicine to make a difference in our case. DD seems to be in less pain now.

Oly5 Wed 04-Oct-17 09:53:06

We used the syringe but ds used to scream the place down. Was awful.
Neither ranitidine or gaviscon helped us. He just grew out of at at 6 months.
Do bear in mind that constant breastfeeding is normal at 4 weeks

Summertime10 Wed 04-Oct-17 22:29:29

Thanks all. I tried him with the syringe and he took it surprisingly well actually grin Really hoping for an improvement soon, it's heartbreaking seeing him in so much pain and I'm beside myself with all of the crying.
Oly I was totally prepared for frequent feeding for lo to increase my milk supply but the constant feeding and him shrieking in pain as soon as he unlatches because of the acid burning him really disturbs me. Luckily the breastmilk really seems to settle the pain so I'm using this to my advantage at the minute but it means I'm literally chained to the sofa 24/7. Hoping for a let up soon.

millifiori Wed 04-Oct-17 22:31:01

We did both and colief too. It all helped. For DS, Ranitidine was the huge breakthrough, but Gaviscon helped a bit too.

FartnissEverbeans Thu 05-Oct-17 20:19:32

We used the syringe. Our paediatrician prescribed it in a syrup and DS loved it so it was no bother getting him to take it.

It was brilliant for DS. He improved within a few hours.

Summertime10 Fri 06-Oct-17 10:37:45

Thanks. We're on day 3 today and he's been a bit more settled this morning so I'm hoping it continues.

AnaKristina Sun 08-Oct-17 21:25:00

I am using both syringe and teat. He needs to be hungry to accept the teat but it's easier that way as he doesn't notice the taste. I use syringe if I forget to give it before feed. No side effects. He is on 2mg/kg as the symptoms returned once he gained weight. Make sure the dosage is reviewed as he gains weight. Once a month at least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now