Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sugar and breastfeeding

(10 Posts)
anemaskell Sat 30-Sep-17 13:04:08

Looking for some advice, I have serious sugar cravings whilst EBF and I have read that eating lots of sugar can turn your baby into a sugar addict? Worried now! Should I cut out sugar completely?

bigmamapeach Sat 30-Sep-17 20:34:35

Nope. Afaik the sugar (lactose) content of your milk is constant, irrespective of mothers diet. The lactocytes in the breast basically regulate the nutrient content they are putting into BM and especially sugar and protein content very tightly regulated. Eat what you want!!!!

Polgaraisbloodylate Mon 02-Oct-17 12:07:59

Nah, breastfeeding is the best excuse to eat cake ever smile

TiramisuQueenoftheFaeries Mon 02-Oct-17 12:09:46

Christ almighty, no, that's complete bollocks. Your milk will have the same amount of sugar in it (quite a lot, that's why it's so sticky) whether you eat tons of sugar or none, and IME breastfeeding is 90% fuelled by cake.

Relax. And have a cake.

TiramisuQueenoftheFaeries Mon 02-Oct-17 12:12:43

Can't help but wonder what garbage unnecessary restriction someone will come up with to pressure breastfeeding women next. Grrr.

stripysleeves Mon 02-Oct-17 12:15:21

breastfeeding is 90% fuelled by cake

Absolutely! I craved cake massively while I was BFing and lost loads of weight at the same time, winner!

I suspect the key to keeping the weight off is to wean yourself off it when your LO weans and you aren't exclusively BFing. I was less good at that bit sadly!

PotteringAlong Mon 02-Oct-17 12:17:03

I've spent about 4.5 of the last 6 years breastfeeding. I'd be knackered if they banned sugar grin

Eat the biscuit, your milk will be fine flowers

anemaskell Thu 05-Oct-17 13:36:52

Thank you everyone! Xx

NameChange30 Thu 05-Oct-17 13:40:00

You probably have sugar cravings because you're tired and hungry (pretty standard when breastfeeding). I have a sweet tooth so I don't always practise what I preach, but make sure you are eating lots of nutritious food as well! Protein and complex carbs to keep you feeling full and keep your blood sugar stable. That's for your benefit btw! Baby will be fine (I just breastfed through a nasty stomach bug and didn't eat for about 24 hours, I felt shit but baby has been fine!)

anemaskell Thu 05-Oct-17 13:46:44

Thanks NameChange30 x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now