Talk

Advanced search

Gaviscon for bf infant

(11 Posts)
SleepForTheWeek Fri 22-Sep-17 20:41:26

I’ve just got some Gaviscon infant from the chemist on advice from a lactation consultant who thinks DDs Posterior tongue tie could be causing silent reflux.

I’ve prepared it as stated on the box which gives me 15ml of suspension to give her. That’s a lot to syringe into a 3month old baby’s mouth! Especially if it tastes as bad as it smells.

It also said to give during every feed - in the evenings I pretty much feed her every hour so do I really need to go be her 15ml of Gaviscon at each feed?? And do I have to break her off of a feed so that I can give her it half way?? And every night feed too?

I’ve just given her first dose - I gave her it after finishing off one breast and before starting the other (she doesn’t always take the other though). It took 15 mins and she was gagging and retching the whole time, most of it came back out her mouth. The thought of having to do that every feed isn’t filling me with joy.

Does this really work with other bf babies??

mumofone234 Fri 22-Sep-17 20:49:36

I haven't used it but have heard other people complain about it - I think ranitidine is the better option as it doesn't have to be done the same way, but for some reason GPs always prescribe Gaviscon first. If it were me, I'd go to the doctor in a week or so and say it hasn't worked and ask if they have anything else they can give you wink.

GodIsDead Fri 22-Sep-17 20:54:56

You can only give a max of 6 doses in 24 hours so I’d do every 2-3 feeds.

SleepForTheWeek Fri 22-Sep-17 21:00:32

It really doesn’t seem designed for bf babies - that was a nightmare!

mumofone234 Fri 22-Sep-17 21:06:44

I don't think it is!

Imnotaslimjim Fri 22-Sep-17 21:14:33

I had the same nightmare with DS, it's horrid stuff. We ended up making it up then using a bottle teat to let him suckle it so he swallowed it naturally. Unfortunately I massive issues with bf and DS lost 20% of his body weight in 10 days so we had to switch to formula. Mixing it with formula is much easier.

McBaby Fri 22-Sep-17 21:49:18

I refused the Gavison and asked for ranitidine for this reason.

The gi consultant agreed that gavison is useless for silent reflux as its stops sickness which smdoeabt happen for silent reflux.

McBaby Fri 22-Sep-17 21:49:45

Doesn't not what ever spell check changed it to!

SleepForTheWeek Fri 22-Sep-17 21:55:10

Oh that’s interesting @McBaby I didn’t know that. I don’t know if her symptoms are strong enough for a dr to prescribe her something else but who knows.

She’s having her TT snipped (again!) in a couple weeks and I’m hoping that will help

Writerwannabe83 Sat 23-Sep-17 11:18:29

My post TT baby has got silent reflux and my GP said to try Gaviscon. I said that Gaviscon is completely impractical for BF babies (from previous experience with DS1) and after being quite firm about why it wouldn't work and she gave me a prescription for Ranitidine too. She told me to try the Gaviscon for 3 days and if it didn't work then to try the Ranitidine.

Needless to say I just went straight for the Ranitidine and I think the GP had already guessed I was going to do that anyway.

NameChange30 Fri 03-Nov-17 17:20:37

Hi OP, hope you don't mind me reviving your thread - I was just wondering whether you continued with the Gaviscon and if so whether it was helpful?

I took my DS (7mo) to the GP for suspected silent reflux and she has prescribed Gaviscon but I'm not convinced. He is breastfed and hardly ever vomits. So I'd be curious to know how you got on with it.

Many thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now