Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

EBF baby with diarrhoea?? Is it something I'm eating?

(9 Posts)
Catabogus Thu 21-Sep-17 19:13:26

My EBF baby is 12 weeks old, and for the last 6 days she has had more than 12 dirty nappies a day. The consistency is very loose - it looks like someone has poured orange juice into the nappy. Before that, she was pooping only every day or every other day and the consistency was much thicker.

I'm worried about this as I assume it's diarrhoea. Could the cause be an intolerance to something I'm eating? I wondered about this because DC1 was intolerant to dairy and soy for the first 10 months of life, and I gather it runs in families - but DC1's symptom was silent reflux, not diarrhoea. I have stopped dairy and soy as a precaution but the diarrhoea continues.

Thank you!

Catabogus Thu 21-Sep-17 22:37:25

Hopeful bump! Does anyone know if this counts as diarrhoea?

umizoomi Thu 21-Sep-17 22:46:10

Is your baby sore from the nappies?

Are they well otherwise?

If it's unusual and/ or they are sore or unwell at that age I would see a dr.

flutterby12 Thu 21-Sep-17 22:58:42

Keep a food diary. Have you had them weighed recently?

My son is 10 months and sensitive to dairy, I've had to cut it all out. Thank god there's a dairy free Baileys coming out at Christmas.

Catabogus Thu 21-Sep-17 23:12:37

Thanks for the replies! No, she doesn't seem at all sore and is otherwise OK - a bit snuffly (has had a bit of a cold) and a bit colicky (but that's nothing new!) but she doesn't seem ill, IYSWIM. It's just the frequency of dirty nappies and the consistency that worries me.

She hasn't been weighed for a few weeks - I was planning to go next week but might bring it forward. She looks chubby enough but it's hard to tell.

I am used to the dairy/soy free thing because of DC1 (and dairy free Baileys is good to know about!). But I am now wondering if it could be something else - egg? nuts? I don't want to start cutting all sorts of random proteins out of my diet on a whim, though...

Catabogus Fri 22-Sep-17 15:16:18

Has anyone else experienced this?

flutterby12 Fri 22-Sep-17 15:47:18

Could she be teething? It's never too early. I'd give your GP or HV a ring. I hope she's better soon

Catabogus Fri 22-Sep-17 17:09:55

Oh my god, teething?! Hadn't even occurred to me. DC1 was 10mo before the first tooth arrived.

flutterby12 Fri 22-Sep-17 18:00:08

My son had his first two through at 4 1/2 months. It was awful. Then at 6 months the top four came through at the same time, he had a poorly bum with it. Haven't had any for a while, must be due some soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now